cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R50 How to reprogram a button for digital zoom

FlameAshWood
Apprentice

I've been trying to figure out if there is a way to set one of the physical buttons to function as a digital zoom while shooting. I shoot with a manual 50mm lens on occasion and being able to focus peak without using the touchscreen would be incredibly useful as I largely use the viewfinder with the screen flipped in. The AE-L button is entirely useless when using a physical lens and is already set to function as digital zoom when in playback mode so I was wondering if there was any way to set that button to function as zoom. All the customization options seem to just be variations of AE lock. If there's any way to set any of the buttons to be digital zoom while taking a picture without having to back up and find the zoom button on the touchscreen that would be super useful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi FlameAshWood,

There is a function you can use to spot check your manual focus, but it can't be assigned to the AE Lock button. In photo modes the function you would want to use the is the Magnify/Reduce function. On the EOS R50 that function can be set to either the movie recording button (while in photo mode), the ISO button, the arrow keys, or the L-Fn button. 

If you want to reference the manual for information on how to customize the buttons and what functions you can assign to them that is on pages 727-734. If you need a copy of the manual it is available HERE. Once you are on the web page click on the Manuals button and the one to reference is named EOS R50 Advanced User Guide.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi FlameAshWood,

There is a function you can use to spot check your manual focus, but it can't be assigned to the AE Lock button. In photo modes the function you would want to use the is the Magnify/Reduce function. On the EOS R50 that function can be set to either the movie recording button (while in photo mode), the ISO button, the arrow keys, or the L-Fn button. 

If you want to reference the manual for information on how to customize the buttons and what functions you can assign to them that is on pages 727-734. If you need a copy of the manual it is available HERE. Once you are on the web page click on the Manuals button and the one to reference is named EOS R50 Advanced User Guide.

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

FlameAshWood,

You can't zoom with a 50mm lens. You only have one focal length, and that's 50mm. If you've ever heard the term, "zoom with your feet", it means just that. You have to physically move closer to, or farther away from your subject.

The magnify trait that you see in Live View is just magnifying the spot where you have set your focus on. You are not really zooming.

To the best of my knowledge, no camera offers focus peaking in the viewfinder. You have to be in Live View, using your screen, in order to use this feature.

Steve Thomas

You are correct. That was poor wording on my part. I was looking for the magnify function. And while true with any dslr the "viewfinder" on the R50 being mirrorless is not a true viewfinder but just another live view screen. It does seem to have certain limitations that the main screen doesn't and must be configured semi separately but it is able to show focus peaking colors on the R50 at least. 

And for all future thread reference the record button CAN be customized to almost anything including the digital magnify which does work in the "viewfinder" luckily. 

Thanks for the responses!

FlameAshWood,

You wrote, (the viewfinder), "...is able to show focus peaking colors on the R50 at least."

I didn't realize that. Thanks for letting me know that.

Steve Thomas 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements