cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 or R6 Shutter Button Metering Function When Using Back Button Focus

musicmaiden
Contributor

Hopefully you guys will put another question to rest that I have had about Back Button Focus:

Using the R5 or R6, Manual Mode, Servo, using Eye-Detect on AF-ON, Face Detect with Tracking on *, and Spot AF on the Shutter Button (so focus and metering enabled). My reason for leaving Spot on the Shutter Button is the ability to use my thumb to move the Focusing Point with the "joystick".  My question is this:  when I use the Back Buttons for Focusing, can I assume that the Back Buttons already take care of the metering and  there is no metering or other "technical"  conflict when then pushing the shutter button to take the picture? 

Any other things to consider when setting up for BBF? Fastest way to switch from Animal to Person Subject besides getting the R3? 

12 REPLIES 12

Thanks for your response.  I live in New Zealand and we have only birds as our native animals (well, two quite rare bats are the only mammals).  The birds generally inhabit bush, with a few in open tussock, so I need to have the ability to zero in on both the bird's eye and the point where I can meter the exposure.
Now, as you observe, that is quite different compared to static (or macro) imagery and configuring the C modes would, I think be an excellent solution to reconfigure your camera very quickly for these divergent subject types.

In the first image below, these birds flit a lot, and tend to inhabit deep, shadowy areas.  I wanted to get the focus on the centre bird, so spot focus was perfect as there were intervening branches, and because the background was very bright relative to the actual birds, I spot metered on the birds themselves and locked that so I could compose and shoot.  It was pretty much the same with all of these.
277mm, f/5, 1/125ec, ISO-6400277mm, f/5, 1/125ec, ISO-6400  HiHi - R5, Rf 100-500@500mm, f/7.1, 1/200sec, ISO-6400HiHi - R5, Rf 100-500@500mm, f/7.1, 1/200sec, ISO-6400 Korimako - 60D, 28-300L@300mm, f/8, 1/100sec, ISO-320Korimako - 60D, 28-300L@300mm, f/8, 1/100sec, ISO-320  Kea - R6, RF 100-500@363mm, 1/320 Sec, ISO-3200,Kea - R6, RF 100-500@363mm, 1/320 Sec, ISO-3200,    R6MkII, EF 100-400@ 400mm, f/8, 1/400sec, ISO-6400R6MkII, EF 100-400@ 400mm, f/8, 1/400sec, ISO-6400
As regards very small subjects, the little fellow above is no more that about 12cm (5") from nose to tail, and I shot it through a plant and a sheet of glass in its incubator.  It's an Elegant Green Gecko (AKI Auckland Green Gecko), also spot focused and metered and hand-held.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

musicmaiden
Contributor

I had no idea that New Zealand did not have many mammals besides a couple of bats! Thanks for giving me a peak of New Zealand birds - that Mar-Kea is very unusual looking!

Servus, 

Karin

Sorry, that's just a Kea.  The Mar part was because it was for this year's calendar in March!  I shall fix that!

The Kea is the world's only Alpine Parrot, and because of it's harsh environment has become very intelligent.  It is about as intelligent as a human infant.   They can work cooperatively to solve puzzles, love to play, like to undo things (like bolts, nuts and screws) remove rubber from cars, let down tyres, and will eat your shoe laces if you leave your boots unattended, or even when wearing them!  They are mischievous, and totally entrancing - my favourite bird.
Kea attempting to eat laces on a shoe while being wornKea attempting to eat laces on a shoe while being wornRed Underwing feathers help them find each other in the airRed Underwing feathers help them find each other in the air

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements