cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 and R6 Concerns

kiyolsakie6
Apprentice

Hi everyone,

I wanted to make a post to see what your concerns, questions, or feedback would be to Canon about the EOS R5 and R6 would be?

Yesterday the announced the camera and started pre-orders but there is still a lot of information to be found out. I don’t know of any direct way to send feedback to canon. So i thought this would be a good idea to create a post and have them read through this if anyone at canon actually looks at social media outlets.

To start some of my concerns are:

R5:

• R5 is able to do 8k 30 RAW but not 4k raw

• R5 is able to Dual record 8k and 4k but what about other modes?

•Currently the R5 is unable to do 1080 120fps but can do 4k 120fps

• R5 will overheat (i think this isnt a huge issue because you are able to record for 20-30 minutes at a time and they have given us information about it unlike other competitors that hid this information)

R6:

•R6 does not have ALL-I codecs with the exception of time lapse

•R6 cannot dual record to sd slots for video

•R6 may also over heat

What are some of your thoughts or concerns?

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I have no concerns.  Let them ship actual production models, and then evaluate them.  Rumors are unhealthy for the brain.

[EDIT]. I would not worry about the overheating.  Once people figure out how much data 8K RAW video creates, no one is going be using 8K mode much.  Anyone who is serious about film making will buy a cinema camera, anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

I have no concerns.  Let them ship actual production models, and then evaluate them.  Rumors are unhealthy for the brain.

[EDIT]. I would not worry about the overheating.  Once people figure out how much data 8K RAW video creates, no one is going be using 8K mode much.  Anyone who is serious about film making will buy a cinema camera, anyway.

I don't have any concerns either, as I am interested in photography, not creating YouTube videos. But the video overheating issue is not a rumor. Canon has issued a statement regarding the overheat issue. 

"The EOS R5, one of the latest additions to Canon’s full-frame mirrorless camera line, offers class-leading autofocus with high-resolution and high frame rate video recording options using the maximum width of the full-frame sensor at high bit rates.  Inevitably, this combination of features has the potential to generate some significant heat, which will limit recording time."

I believe it is against forum rules to post links. Google for the remainder of the statement. Canon has addressed this in its design, and for photographers, there is no issue. 

Thanks for catching the links, John.  Those were the unwelcome kind and we took care of them.

DougFraser
Contributor

I'm wondering about the AF feature - does "animal detection" (and AF in general) work equally well with EF lenses and an adapter? I'm specifically wondering if using the 100-400 L IS II lens would auto-focus as well in video mode on the R6 as the 100-500 RF lens? If there is a difference how significant might it be? 

John_SD
Whiz

@kiyolsakie6 wrote:

To start some of my concerns are:

R5:

• R5 is able to do 8k 30 RAW but not 4k raw

• R5 is able to Dual record 8k and 4k but what about other modes?

•Currently the R5 is unable to do 1080 120fps but can do 4k 120fps

• R5 will overheat (i think this isnt a huge issue because you are able to record for 20-30 minutes at a time and they have given us information about it unlike other competitors that hid this information)

R6:

•R6 does not have ALL-I codecs with the exception of time lapse

•R6 cannot dual record to sd slots for video

•R6 may also over heat

What are some of your thoughts or concerns?

Given your concerns, why are you even remotely interested in the R5/R6? You should buy a Canon camcorder.  

photodigichick
Contributor

Let me start by saying I have been a photographer for 45 years and have used Canon all those years.  I am familiar with the cameras and a loyal customer.  The R6 a huge disappointment for a full frame camera.  I should have bought something else. Here are my issues:

*R6 battery overheats to the point where it is dangerous

*R6 the focus is "off" - images are soft.  Seemed to happen after the last Firmware update?

*R6 the EF to RF adapter does not seem compatible with other lenses to the degree it was marketed to be

*R6 inconsistent connection through wifi or bluetooth to computer and/or phone

*R6 drains battery unless wifi is in airplane mode even when the camera is turned off

I should not have purchased the R6.  It was an expensive experiment gone wrong.  Thanks Canon.

I am surprised at this and very sorry for your bad experience.  I too have been shooting for about 42 years and have used Canon consistently through that time - although I also shoot Fuji, Nikon, Olympus and Sony from time-to-time. 

I have 1 x R5 and 2 x R6 units and they have been behaving according to what I expected, if not exceeding them in some areas.  I have had none of the issues that you have listed. 

I don't shoot video, so I don't know if your overheating issue relates to that, but even in quite warm temps (30+degC), it has not overheated shooting at high shutter speeds, although I shoot in small bursts. 

I personally don't use Wi-Fi or Bluetooth: I have always found it more convenient and faster to simply remove the cards from the cameras and plug them into a computer, so I can't comment on the connectivity issues.

I have shot with about 12 of my EF lenses attached to the cameras via the Canon EF-RF adapter and they have behaved as well as ever.  I have also shot with some 3rd party lenses, including the Sigma 150-600c and 60-600s lenses - there is evidence that the Sigma 150-600c will hunt when shooting (only) at close to minimum focus distance, but since I don't use that lens to shoot so close I have not had an issue.

My only frustration is that the rather expensive LP-6NH batteries drain quite quickly, even if not in the camera (I keep a pair charged for field trips) and, after only modest use, their capacity has already deteriorated significantly.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements