cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 - Switching between AF methods fast in Video

SunnyG
Contributor

Hello

I would like to switch between AF methods as fast and easy as possible in video mode.

Cant believe the fastest way is:
- Pressing the AF point button
- Press the desired method on the screen twice. (Why cant i use one of the wheels. wich would totally make sense?)

The other not so fast way ist:
- Press the Q button
- Select AF method 
- Select your desired AF method
- And then you HAVE to press the little arrow symbol on the top right. (Why not double tab the icon or press at least on the empty screen to confirm selection?! Dont get it)

In Photography mode you can set one of the buttons to "Direct AF method selection". Which would be such a great thing, but not working in Video mode.🧐 (the only place i need it)

Any hints what i am doing wrong or why so many useful features are only in photography and not in video Mode?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello, SunnyG!

I have focus points/zones bound to the lens control ring. Give that a try 🙂

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hello, SunnyG!

I have focus points/zones bound to the lens control ring. Give that a try 🙂

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

SunnyG
Contributor

Hey FloridaDrafter
That is a great idea indeed!
And probably the fastest and easiest method. Certainly when the camera is not on a gimbal.
Thank you very much for your input.

You are welcome. A lot of folks discount the control ring, and since the R5 is so easily customized with buttons they don't see much use in it. It does take a bit to get used to using, especially since Canon isn't consistent in it's placement (on the end with some lenses and near the body on others), but it doesn't take long to memorize where it is on which lens. I disabled some of the zones so flipping through selections is pretty fast. I'm usually flipping from face+tracking to fine to one point, which are all within one or two clicks from each other.

Newton

Thanks FloridaDrafter
I adapted your solution and it is really the best thing. Almost as good as having it assigned to a button.
And yes i agree the buttons are very customisable, but i reached its limitations already in quite a few situations. I dont understand why canon is only giving sertain options in photo modes and not in video mode. And not for all the buttons you can choose between the same things. I feel a little patronised by canon for this.
Anyways...
As you seem to be very experienced. Any other great solutions for my other struggles with this camera:
https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/217710

Thank you very much!

Announcements