cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 New MP4 Files Not Playing on Computer

jgrabert
Contributor

My new MP4 videos I am shooting with my R5 are not being displayed by my computer programs such as media player or Movavi etc.  Video I shot last week on this camera is working fine.  I have been playing around with my settings as I am new to video.  Could I have switched some setting to have caused it?  They are all listed as MP4 and as stated, existing MP4 files on my computer from this camera are working fine.  The new files are playing back fine on the camera.  Current settings are 4K-U, 29.79, ALL-1.  I have tried some other configurations but am getting similar results.

6 REPLIES 6

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

Sorry I don't have much help.  I have tested all the R5 modes and the MP4s play fine on my computer (Windows 10, VLC media player).

Did the files maybe get corrupted when you copied them over?  I have an external card reader which sometimes does this.

Check the file sizes -- are the realistic?

Figured it out.  Somehow, the Canon Log became enabled.  Don't remember touching that but once I disabled it everything worked fine.  Thanks!

I'm glad you're up and running; but I think you may be on the wrong track there.  I shoot nothing but log on the R5, and I've never had this issue.  So if it happens again, you might want to look into other possibilities.

Thanks but so far so good!

If you want to use Log settings and still view them on your computer, follow the directions above.

JennH
Apprentice

I had the same problem. Found the solution. Uninstall your current version of VLC. When you try to update it within the player, it will tell you you already have the latest version. You probably do not. You need version 3.0.17.4. After you uninstall your current version of VLC. Go here: https://www.videolan.org/vlc/ and install the new version. The 4K files still don't play great (depending on your editor) buy you can at least see them.

Announcements