cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 Memory card with firmware is required to update - Dec 2022

Terrij
Contributor

I'm trying to update my Canon R5 to the latest version - V1.7.  I have formatted the card, copied the update to the card at the DCIM level.  When I insert into the camera and go to the next step - update camera firmware I get this message:

Memory card with firmware is required to update

I have tried different cards with no luck.  Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Oh, you are on a MAC.  No problem.  You need to run the .dmg and unpack the contents of the download.  

On newer versions of MAC OS, Finder does not mount the drive, so you need to tell it to show "hard disk" on the desktop.  Now you will see the folder and can grab the .fir file out of it.  Yes, if you put it next to the DCIM folder, thats top level.  🙂

shadowsports_0-1670602564186.jpeg

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The .fir file should be in the root (top level directory) on the card.  If you put it anywhere else, the camera will not see it.

EOSR5170.FIR

**You put in our your SD card correct?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Its no an .fir file - its a.dmg. is that the problem?  And is the DCIM not the root level?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Oh, you are on a MAC.  No problem.  You need to run the .dmg and unpack the contents of the download.  

On newer versions of MAC OS, Finder does not mount the drive, so you need to tell it to show "hard disk" on the desktop.  Now you will see the folder and can grab the .fir file out of it.  Yes, if you put it next to the DCIM folder, thats top level.  🙂

shadowsports_0-1670602564186.jpeg

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Terrij
Contributor

OMG. This is way beyond my technical knowledge! How do I unpack the contents or show the hard disk? I right click and say open but nothing happens. 

@Terrij wrote:

OMG. This is way beyond my technical knowledge! How do I unpack the contents or show the hard disk? I right click and say open but nothing happens. 

Try a google search for “how to open a DMG file on a MAC.”  

Can you take a screenshot of your SD card root directory before you put it in the camera?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The DCIM is not the root folder.  There should have been instructions on the same web page that you downloaded the file.  

You should also have only one memory card in the camera when you do the update.  I always format the memory card, which wipes away everything, including any DCIM folder.  I only use the card for firmware updates.  There should only be one firmware file on the memory card.

Once you are done, re-install your regular memory cards.  Double check that the camera is writing to the memory cards in the order that you want.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Ok so I removed the second card so the camera now has only 1 card.  I formatted an SD card but DCIM still showed up so I manually deleted it on my MAC.  Then I copied the .dmg file over to the SD card and it appeared as a .FIR.  Proceeded with the steps on the camera and still get the same message!  What am I doing wrong?

I guess everyone has their preferred method, but I find it unnecessary to only use one card and remove the other. The camera will search both cards and find the firmware. This has worked for me with dual slot DSLR's and the dual slot R5 and R6. I also don't bother with formatting, even though it takes only a second, depending on the formatting method selected. I do, however, make sure I have a fresh battery. Been doing this for 20 years with nary a hitch. I did have a problem once by having two f/w versions on the card, but that was on the 5D mark IV. I still make it a habit of deleting the old version, but have been given options with the R5 when I forgot to delete the old version.

*EDIT* I forgot to add that it is important to "eject" the card properly before removing it from your computer. Not sure how you Mac guys do it, maybe "dismount"? In Windows you just right click the drive and select Eject. That makes sure your computer is finished writing any data to the card and insures the FAT will be intact.

This is a screeny from Windows, but it should look the same on your Mac. Note where the FIR file is. The camera will not search the DCIM or MISC folders.

Firmware on SD Card-1.jpg

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Terrij
Contributor

Thanks to all of you. With a mix of everyone’s replies I figured it out! 

Announcements