cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 Mark II Freezing/Hanging

Redsled
Apprentice

Anyone else having a freezing/hanging issue with their R5 Mk ii?  Generally, it seems like it shows the last image taken in the view finder. Powering off does not clear it, requires the removal of the battery. Currently in Europe, headed back to the States tomorrow. Has consistently happened several times a day - up to almost two dozen today. Doesn’t seem to matter which of my batteries (using both LP-E6P and LP-E6NH batteries) or which memory card (a mixture, but generally Sony Tough cards) I’m using. Not panicking (yet), it is firmware 1.0.0; however, today was annoying - missed several shots due to the freezing. Mostly just curious if anyone else is having the same issues? Thanks - Kevin

10 REPLIES 10

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

What lenses are you using please provide FULL NAMES of lenses and mount adapters this even includes 3rd Party models too.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 5D Mark IV
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Retired Gear: EOS 40D, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM & EF 70-210mm F/4
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

Redsled
Apprentice

I hadn't even thought about the lenses...  The only lens that this has happened with is a Canon RF 15-35 L f2.8.  I am also using the Canon GPS GP-E2 on the hot shoe - with the Canon hotshoe adapter (because they, irritatingly did not include GPS inside the camera...  RAWR)

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

What happens if you use a different lens.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 5D Mark IV
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Retired Gear: EOS 40D, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM & EF 70-210mm F/4
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Keep the GPS off for a bit and continue testing.  The lens has had new firmware. 1.0.7 in 2020 and 1.0.8 in 2022.   One was for IS and the other focus breathing.  Neither would pertain to your situation.  

Camera:

Firmware 1.0.1 should be available next week if rumours hold true.  I haven't heard anybody complaining of freezing, so right now the GPS, older batteries or storage are suspect.  If it's freezing with the new E6P battery, then power is not an issue.  I don't personally care for Sony cards but they work, so they are unlikely too. I'm leaning towards the GPS unit at the moment.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

In my experience, camera freezing issues often wind up being either bad or incorrect memory cards, or wireless communication issues.   Seeing how you are using an external GPS, that would be the first accessory that I would remove and disable.for testing purposes.

Where are you when the camera tends to freezes?  Indoors or outdoors?  Is it a crowded location with lots of people carrying smart phones and such?

A GPS does not work well in many indoor environments because it loses its signal.  The camera may stop taking photos until it reacquires a GPS signal.  At least that was the behavior with the built-in GPS with my 6D and 6Dii DSLRs.  

I stopped fighting it.  I am usually on foot when I am taking photos, and in one general location.  I realized that I could take one test shot to capture GPS coordinates of the general area, and copy the GPS data to other photos in post.

If you are not using wireless communications, then disable it.  Don’t be satisfied with switching the camera to “Airplane Mode”.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Lots of great info here. I miss onboard GPS badly. I kept it turned on mode2 on my 6DmkII for years. Also indoors but it didn't work in the catacombs in France. 😂 Never ever caused me a problem.  Life was good.  

After re-reading I see now that it's happening with the old or new batteries so it's not a power.  So we're down to GPS, storage and the RF15-35 lens.  Keep us posted. We'll be interested to learn what you find after more testing.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

apexprophoto
Apprentice

yes constantly,  what a frustrating thing with an almost 5k dollar camera. Canon clearly did a piss poor job with their field test. 

apexprophoto
Apprentice

it happens on all my lenses,  RF, EF. it happens far too frequently for this to me a pro body,  canon customer service is no help

vipul
Apprentice

Got my R5MII just last week, and since I started using it, its freezing now and then. MIssing shots in the field because of this issue.

Announcements