cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 Loses focus when switching from auto to manual

David_Long
Apprentice

I have a Canon R5 and R6. When I auto focus with my R6 and then switch to manual focus on any of my RF lenses, the focus remains what the autofocus was. On my R5, when i switch to MF, the focus is totally different. Can anyone help figure out what setting I might have changed on the R5 and how I can get it back to keeping the same focus setting from the auto focus when I move to manual focus? Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

You could try resetting camera and custom functions back to factory defaults.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not sure if these apply, but check these settings in the auto-focus menu. Also download the lens manual and see what it says about manual focus for your lens.

Screenshot 1.jpg

Screenshot 2.jpg

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

Hello, David, and welcome to the Forum!

I can't figure out which setting might be messing with your switch from AF to MF, but I can confirm that it should switch without changing focus. It's not something that I normally do, so I just tested it out on my R5 with 3 different RF lenses. All switched from AF to MF without moving my focal plane. I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but this may be a case for a reset and test of the features you have enabled.

Newton

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You switch from AF to MF on the R5 and the focus changes.  What happens when you switch back from MF to AF?  Does the focus restore itself to what it should be?

Does it make a difference whether or not the metering timer is still active when you switch from AF to MF on the lens?

[EDIT] Check the “Retract Lens On Power Down” setting.  It should not make a difference.  Maybe it does.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements