cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 Fails to Focus

Maverick87
Contributor

Hello,  few days I bought the Canon R5 with Canon adopter (I got Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary), today I got a AF focus problem when the subject I wanted to photograph (it was an airshow), I pressed the AF back button and instead of locking it was blurry (out of focus).

I saw some YouTube videos and I disconnected the lens and reconnect her and I noticed that No matter how AF mode I'm choosing (in my case it's always square with cross and instead of locking on subject it search for it. It runs to search for subject. 

I did a double reset,  one to the lens and one for the camera. Still the same and I don't know what to do.  

I hope I was clear, cause it's my first time..

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Maverick87
Contributor

I would like thank you all!
I solve the problem by cleaning everything, (there's an option to do so under clear all camera settings).

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

There have been issues using the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary on Canon mirrorless cameras. I don't think it has been sorted yet. I don't have an R5 to test it on though.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It was fine today till I disconnected her.. It still works but no matter what AF you choose,  it's running instead of be locked. Like it searching for the subject.  Never that kind of an issue.. I also got 5D MK IV and 6D. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Yeah, I hear you but I don't think it will be better until one or the other creates and upgrade of some sort.

EB

Maverick87
Contributor

They don't care.. I check for updates each day..

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@maverick87,

At least 2 of us here have the 150-600c.  @Trevor and myself.  He recently did a showcase on the lens's performance adapted.  I believe it was with stationary subjects (can't remember).  For BIF and planes, you'll want to use one shot AF and not servo.  The adapted lens can have issues locking and tracking.  This can depend on subject (and speed if moving), available light and background.  Some shooting conditions are better than others.  Keeper rates can vary.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

No matter what you want to lock the AF, he's searching for the subject... For example you want single spot, it searching for a subject when you press the AF back button instead of having a single spot.. 

It was fine in the morning..

@Maverick87 wrote:

No matter what you want to lock the AF, he's searching for the subject... For example you want single spot, it searching for a subject when you press the AF back button instead of having a single spot.. 

It was fine in the morning..

I'm sure nothing on the camera or lens "has changed" since this morning.  Maybe the shooting conditions.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

No matter what you trying to lock the AF you getting points running instead of square.. You can't change the mode it still the same..

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"It was fine in the morning."

It will be intermittent or inconsistent. That is the issue as I understand it.  There are several Youtube reviews of this issue. My Siggy C works perfectly on my 1DX but as I stated I don't have an R5 to test it on. Perhaps I can borrow one and report back later. I rarely, never, use the C, however, as I prefer the Sigma Sport 150-600mm.

"They don't care.. I check for updates each day.."

I can't imagine Canon abandoning the after market lenses. IMHO, that would be a disastrous mistake. The mirrorless camera tech is new and perhaps the rest have just not been able to catch up yet.

EB
Announcements