cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 Err 70

MBP
Apprentice

I just received a new EOS R5 and out of the box I was getting an err 70 lockup. I thought updating the firmware would resolve the problem but the err 70 continues. I have now received a message 20 or 25 times over the course of 100 frames. Is the a comen problem?

32 REPLIES 32

alonsovillamil
Apprentice

Hey you there, do you can solve the message Error 70? I just bought a R5C and turn on that message appears on screen, that's is so frustrating.

garymak
Enthusiast

Per the suggestion, let's continue this "Err 70" discussion anew from Feb 2024...

Currently using R5 w/ Firmware v.1.9.0. with a variety of lenses R16mm, R24-105 ƒ4L, R100-500 L, R24-240mm, EF17-40L, plus EF24-70 ƒ2.8L... I haven't had the problem for a while now.  Now I am not saying that the latest s/w "will solve the problem," but I had the problem (which is why I joined this thread) and have not had the problem in a while now.  Did v.1.9.0 solve my problem?  Maybe.  As per the previous legitimate complaint threads, did Canon address the problem? No.  Are they addressing it now? Not really.  Typical of many s/w companies including MS and Apple, they just hope the new s/w update will somehow take care of the problem.  Hopefully it did.

I have same issue. Using for photos only. Bought in Dec 23, First unit had purple screen issue, exchanged for new unit. This have err70 issue, re insert battery. I am using with RF 24-70 F2.8. No fix yet. Sending back to get money back, not looking at repair at all as Its a brand new unit.Tried every solution over the internet.Latest firmware 1.9.0.  No Luck.

alonsovillamil
Apprentice

Hey you there, I am exactly with the same error, the sabe thing, every minute the display shown Err 70. How you can resolve the issue?

The only way I resolved it was to use RF lenses

I definitely think that's a factor - perhaps a big factor - as well.  I noticed when I have used my EF28-70 ƒ2.8L with the adapter ring (of course) on my R5, I sometimes get a "shut the camera off then on" message or just a "ERR 70".  Not a lot, but it seems to happen when I use that particular lens/adapter combo with the R5 and I don't recall seeing it (can't swear to it though) using the RF lenses which I used mostly now...  But, on the other hand, I was using the EF100-400 ƒ5.6L with an adapter on the R5 a lot on a recent trip to Kenya, and a lot in burst mode, but I did not have any issue. So who knows? But I agree - I think the EF+adapter+R series has some kind of intermittent issue that way.

I am using canon RF 24-70 2.8 , RF 50mm 1.8, RF 70-200 2.8.

Same issue with all lenses.

garymak
Enthusiast

"Hey you there," too! If I understand your English correctly, "every minute the display (is) show(ing) "Err 70." That sounds like more than just an intermittent problem.  It sounds like your screen is frozen, or a hardware problem.  And that sounds like a problem for Canon Tech Support.  That's always my first line of trouble-shooting.  Just call them.  Look up their number on their website and give them a call.  I've usually found them to be helpful. I've used them for many years.  

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Most common causes for Err70

Faulty / counterfeit memory card (or card not formatted in camera)

Inferior or non OEM battery, weak OEM battery

Lens or adapter problem

Faulty PCB in body

Considerations:

Use card(s) procured from a reputable vendor which are certified for the body, speed rating, etc.  Format in camera

Use OEM batteries of known good quality.  Batteries can and do eventually wear out 

Avoid 3rd party lens adapters if possible.  Results are inconsistent.  Not all 3rd party lenses are fully compatible.  Sometimes a lens FW update can help, but this is not guaranteed.  If the lens has been dropped or damaged it might malfunction intermittently.

Faulty or malfunctioning PCB.  Canon must diagnose, service and replace.   

If you are experiencing Err70 out of the box and are certain your card(s), batteries, lenses and Canon accessories are either new or in good working condition, I would likely exchange the body.  If the camera is beyond return, then Canon Service is the next step.      

**You should not expect that updating the firmware on a body experiencing Err70 will resolve the issue.  If the problem existed previously, it will likely follow, regardless of the FW the camera is running.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

hardeepssingh
Contributor

I have same issue. Using for photos only. Bought in Dec 23, First unit had purple screen issue, exchanged for new unit. This have err70 issue, re insert battery. I am using with RF 24-70 F2.8. No fix yet. Send back to get money back, not looking at repair at all Its a brand new unit.Tried every solution over the internet. No Luck.

Announcements