Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R100 How to eliminate blur on moving subjects

Esquiveljess183
Apprentice

IMG_0909.jpeg

IMG_0831.jpeg

  

IMG_0923.jpeg

Hello I’m super new to this I got the EOS R100 I been messing with it, still rusty but I’m not sure if this camera is the best fit for me. I’m in the equestrian world and love to take pictures of horses we all know how fast they can be but I can’t seems to get good still pictures while they take speed camera to slow hopefully I’m wrong let post some images as an example I want clear pictures while horse is moving is it possible with this type of model ? 

3 REPLIES 3

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Jess (?) and welcome to the forum:
Frankly, it's vey hard to tell exactly why your images are blurry without more information. Usually there are a couple of reasons why an image is blurry - movement of either the camera or subject, and incorrect focus.  All or any combination can occur when the lighting is poor.  So, knowing your settings is very instructive.

Obviously, the location is dark, which is a big challenge unless extremely well lit.  Is this normal for your shooting environment?  It would be helpful to know what lenses you are using, what exposure mode (Av, Tv, P, A M)  you are shooting in and what your settings are for each image - they are readable from your camera using the INFO or DISP button when reviewing the images in camera,  or by using the properties of the image on a computer file manager.
We would be looking at Lens, focal length, f/stop, shutter speed, and ISO values.

On a general basis, getting sharp images of moving subjects in limited light is testing for both camera system and the photographer.  That is where your knowledge of how to manipulate shutter speed, aperture (f/stop) and ISO become important.  That is a skill that is not camera-specific - most camera controls are the same.  

The R100 is the most base unit of the R-series of crop-sensor bodies and as such lacks some of the finer points, of the more expensive models.   However, before we make too many judgements, let's get come more information as I indicated.   Using any dedicated camera is a very different kettle of fish compared to using a cell phone.  Such a camera has more potential, but is a big learning curve and there is no easy way around this.  Absolutely, you can shoot in Auto and Program modes and the camera will do its best, but essentially it is deciding how to expose the image, not you and that can be limiting in challenging conditions.

While you might like to shoot horses in this environment, I would suggest starting with daylight spaces and work on getting to know the camera and learn about exposure and the three controls I mention.  Many combinations of Aperture, shutter speed and ISO will give you a correct exposure, but each has a dramatic effect on the end result.  Learning how those work and harnessing those differences is the skill part.

I would recommend checking out some of the videos in this list to see if one or more will help you get to grips with our camera.
(34) mavin eos r100 tutorial - YouTube

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Do you have access to the manual for the camera? Good place to see what features are available and how to take advantage of them. The middle photos says it is a reining horse. We watch the Cowboy Channel- rodeos, barrel racing, various shows about horses, etc.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Esquiiveljess193,

It seems to me, and this just my own personal opinion), that you have to approaches to this problem.

One approach would be to set your shutter speed very fast in order to freeze a moment in time. Your horse and the background will be in focus.Try putting your camera in Tv or shutter speed and set your shutter speed anywhere from 1/500th's of a second to 1/1000th's of a second. Your camera will set the aperture. By setting your shutter speed that high, this will make your picture very dark, and as Trevor pointed out, you are already in a dimly-lit environment, so I'd set your ISO to Auto and let your camera try to compensate by brightening up your picture.

The other approach is a technique called panning and you should read up on how to do that well. With this technique, you lock on to your horse ahead of time and follow him along as he moves. With this approach, you can set your shutter speed much slower. If he is far away, you can use a slow shutter. If he is close to you, your shutter speed.will have to be faster. You'll have to practice to decide the best speed to use. ire off a burst of 3 or 4 shots as you follow him along. With this approach, as you are moving your body from side to side following the horse, your horse will be in focus, but your background will be all blurry. Those can very pretty pictures.

Steve Thomas

Announcements