cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R10 keeps taking .hif images

Contributor

My EOS R10 keeps taking .hif photos (not .heif) and my Windows laptop doesn't recognize nor does Canon Digital Photo Professional 4

I've searched up and nothing I have found is related to the problem I am having

7 REPLIES 7

johnrmoyer
Whiz
Whiz

According to the manual, https://cam.start.canon/en/C006/manual/html/UG-05_Shooting-1_0100.html   ,

PQ in HDR PQ refers to the gamma curve of the input signal for displaying HDR images.

HDR PQ settings enable the camera to produce HDR images conforming to the PQ specification defined in ITU-R BT.2100 and SMPTE ST.2084. (Actual display depends on monitor performance.)

Shots are captured as HEIF or RAW images.

HDR stands for High Dynamic Range.

PQ stands for Perceptual Quantization.

https://cam.start.canon/en/C006/manual/html/UG-07_Playback_0250.html  Converting HEIF (HIF) to JPEG (JPG).

https://cam.start.canon/en/C006/manual/html/UG-05_Shooting-1_0030.html

For display of the HIF files in Windows, https://cam.start.canon/en/S002/manual/html/UG-12_HDRPQ_0020.html 

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

@131 wrote:

My EOS R10 keeps taking .hif photos (not .heif) and my Windows laptop doesn't recognize nor does Canon Digital Photo Professional 4

I've searched up and nothing I have found is related to the problem I am having

First, I apologize if I'm covering some of the info in the links that John posted. Honestly, I did not look it over. However, one thing you must understand with HDR PQ and HEIF/HIF files is that unless you have the hardware like an HDR monitor and video card capable of displaying HDR files, you will not get the benefit of HDR on a Windows system. Although I have the hardware and software to edit HDR PQ, practically all of my HDR final products (HEIF/HIF) go to friends and family that have Mac's or iPhones. I have seen mentioned that Windows 10/11 will support HEIF, I haven't found an add-on that works, and I have very little patience especially when I have programs that allow me to edit. Preview in file explorer is nice, but not something I fret over. Bottom line is Windows will not natively support HEIF/HIF, so you have to download an add-on.

If you are concerned that you aren't getting the "HEIF" extension on the files, don't be. Canon truncates it to "HIF", which is also a valid HEVC extension and will be recognized by Windows and Mac.

If you simply don't want HIF files, you must "Disable" HDR Shooting [HDR PQ] as shown on page 212 of your advanced users guide.

HDR PQ R10-1.jpg

To be able to edit your HDR PQ or HIF files in DPP 4, you will need to activate the HEVC codec in DPP from the Help menu pulldown. This will allow you to view HIF files and edit the Raw HDR PQ files for export to HIF.

DPP 4 HEVC Activate-1.jpg

Newton

i tried activating HEVC codec but an error message pops up saying HEVC codec activation does not apply to this file. and when i tried looking it up i found an answer for the canon eos r, eos ra, and eos 5d mark 5, not eos r10.

131_0-1724680006255.png

Note: i do have the file open in the editor and the sd card is plugged into my laptop

EDIT: @131, I'm not convinced this will work now, for whatever reason. I got the same message today when I clicked the link in the Help pulldown. Previously, out of curiosity, I have clicked that help link and it would throw up a message that said it was already installed, so I don't know what's going on now, sorry 😞

[Original post] I'm not sure why it's giving you that error and referencing "this file". Although the codec applies to HDR PQ and HIF, it installs for the program in general.

Just open DPP 4, hopefully you have the latest or a recent version, and before opening any files and with just DPP running, install the codec.

Newton

@FloridaDrafter wrote:

I'm not sure why it's giving you that error and referencing "this file". Although the codec applies to HDR PQ and HIF, it installs for the program in general.

Just open DPP 4, hopefully you have the latest or a recent version, and before opening any files and with just DPP running, install the codec.

Newton

I also have been unable to install the codec. File selected or not selected seems to make no difference. HIF files work fine in DPP without the codec. I had guessed that the codec was needed for one of the video modes, but I do not do video. Now that I look at the download page, it is only for 3 cameras EOS R, EOS Ra, and EOS 5D Mark IV. Those three cameras saved HIF files in a non-standard or pre-standard format and I guess that the codec is only needed for those 3 cameras.

johnrmoyer_0-1724687908968.png

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/s/article/ART176556 

Maybe it is only for some versions of Windows and not macOS?

John, all I know for sure is that when I first started messing with HIF, some three years ago (with the R6 II), DPP would not allow me to edit HIF files until I activated the HEVC codec. After researching, I found I needed to install that codec. IIRC, when I clicked that link in DPP I had to jump to a couple of different pages before actually finding it, in fact, it was so confusing (and I am computer literate), that I wasn't sure what happened. But it worked.

FWIW, I got the same message today when I clicked the link in the Help pulldown. Previously, it would throw up a message that said it was already installed, so I don't know what's going on now.

As for HIF working for you on the Mac, I would think that's normal as HEIF has been available on that platform for quite a while.

Newton

@131 wrote:

i tried activating HEVC codec but an error message pops up saying HEVC codec activation does not apply to this file. and when i tried looking it up i found an answer for the canon eos r, eos ra, and eos 5d mark 5, not eos r10.

Note: i do have the file open in the editor and the sd card is plugged into my laptop

I have several R series cameras, and I am able to create and edit HIF files from them all in DPP 4. I suspect the supported cameras you found/referenced have to do with their video capabilities. What you want is one specific format within the HEVC container, which is HEIF/HIF to be able to edit those files in DPP.

I found an active link to the codec from a web page (from 2023) but since it's installed on my Windows laptop I couldn't test the results, but it is a Canon link.

Here is the link! Have your camera serial number handy as you will need it to download the codec pack. It will be a ZIP file, so you will need to unzip the "hevcaw1.0.0-installer-003.zip" and run the "hevcaw1.0.0-installer-003.exe"

Be sure to close DPP 4 before installing the codec pack and just follow the directions once you run the installer (exe).

I hope this works!

Newton

Announcements