cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R10 Trouble uploading pictures to laptop

JPNunez
Apprentice

Hello. I have an EOS R10 and an ASUS Zenbook. I was able to upload my pictures from my camera to my laptop earlier this week. Then yesterday when I went to upload more pictures, and it just wasn't happening. I didn't change any settings on my camera. I did do some updates on the computer, but they were mostly the usual windows protection and Adobe Lightroom stuff. If anyone is familiar with this and can help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Can't help you directly, but most folks here would recommend that you use a card reader. Frequently faster and less change of camera damage. More than one post on the forum discussing damaged USB connections on the camera.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Absolutely agree with John:

Removing the card and inserting it directly into the computer is simpler, has faster download and does not use your camera battery.

Procedure:

Turn the camera off, and remove the card
Insert into either an internal card reader or USB connected one - the card should be seen as an external drive by your File Manager
Use the normal procedure to copy the files from the DCIM folder to a suitable location on your hard disc
When you have confirmed that the files are on the computer, use the Eject command in File Manager to disconnect the card from the system - don't just pull it out.  If there are still active connections you could corrupt your card - this actually applies to any external storage device.  You will get an advisory that it is OK
Remove the card and re-insert into the camera
Format the card in the camera (don't delete files, it creates accumulating file errors and can eventually corrupt your card)
You're good to go! 😊

I hope this helps

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What method are you using to transfer images from the camera to the computer?  USB or wireless?  If you did some Windows updates, that could affect wireless communication, but it should not impact USB.  Try a different USB slot and/or cable, too.

Speaking strictly for myself, I prefer to use the USB port and EOS Utility for its custom file sorting and renaming features.  I do not know how people can damage their USB ports, but there are many who do.  Maybe, they try to force an upside connector into the port?  I dunno.  An upside down memory card can damage the camera, too.  Given a choice between a bad USB port and a bad card slot, I’ll take the bad USB port all day long.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements