cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R10 - Good enough to shoot northern lights?

TomBea
Contributor

Im wanting to get my partner the EOS R10 when i take her to see the northern lights.

Im hoping to get some advice to see if this camera is capabale of good photos of them?

Any advice is welcomed.

11 REPLIES 11

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi Tom and welcome to the forum:

To advise you, it would be helpful to get some more information:
Budget $value - we would be wasting your time if we suggest gear you can't afford.
What equipment does your partner have now?
Specifically, precisely what lenses?  The camera is only part of the issue, the lens has a profound impact on the image-taking process and is arguably more significant. Note in being precise, I am saying that there are often multiple versions of one lens type, especially kit lenses.  The information you need is written around the front element of the lens: identified as Focal Length(s) and Lens Markings
Tronhard_0-1700851206947.jpeg

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Trevor thank you! Sorry im new to this.

She use to have a canon camera but got rid of it when we moved house, she loves photography but just uses her Iphone (16 now) to take it and now wwant to get her one back.

Im looking at getting this for her: [for safety reasons, posting links to third-party sites is not allowed]

Stephen_0-1728401321880.png

With this lense: Stephen_1-1728401406303.png

Is this good enough or?

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

The body is OK, the kit lens that comes with it, not so good.  The 50mm lens on that body will be too narrow for northern lights I think - on that body, a lens like the RF 16mm f/2.8 would be a better choice specifically for northern lights but will also do a good job for landscapes. Shop Canon Refurbished RF16mm F2.8 STM | Canon U.S.A., Inc.
(Refurb lenses are usually new but overstock, open box but unused, show or demo units but 'good as new' and with a Canon warranty - and you get a price break)

Assumedly you are not making a journey just to look at the sky, so an ultra wide-angle lens is going to be less useful for other subjects.  You might get away with the 18-45 but its focal length is quite limited so, if the site offers an option for the RF-S 18-150, I would go for that. 
Having checked, I see: EOS R10 RF-S18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Lens Kit (canon.com)

The point is that afterwards the combination of lens and body will offer much more flexibility use options and ultimately better value for money if they continue to use the gear.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Trevor

I would say 1000-1200 GBP?

Does that work?

Maybe push it to 1500 GBP

Tom,

I would concur with Trevor's advice. The R10 with an 18-150mm lens kit would be a good choice - for the Northern lights and beyond.

The kit he suggested is currently running at $1,279. You'll want to add some money for a couple of memory cards, a spare battery, a camera bag and perhaps a good tripod.

Those are all considered to be accessories, and are not included in the camera price.

Steve Thomas

Do you have a picture of the lens kit??

thanks 

Tom 

Go to the links I provided, they show you everything you need to know.  Picture, specs etc.  Here is a page on the RF-S 18-150 STM, if you need to see that separately:
Canon RF-S 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM review | Digital Camera World

A review of the lens by a reliable reviewer:
Canon RF-S 18-150mm review: HANDS-ON first-looks (youtube.com)

cheers, TREVOR

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Where abouts are you going to shoot the Northern Lights?

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements