cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R show “Ensure battery grip” error, no battery grip attached

Matt2johnston
Apprentice

My Canon EOS R does not have a battery grip, however I am getting this error “Ensure a battery grip is attached securely to the camera”. I’ve tried changing multiple batteries, cleaned the battery ports, but still have this issue. I had a photoshoot in a cold area when this occurred, I’m not sure if that adds to the problem

Has anyone come across this problem, or has a fix for this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Found the issue!

thank you so much for your help. I cleaned the inside of the camera one more time with a different microfiber towel, and then let the camera sit without a battery for about an hour, and this seems have fixed the issue

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Research indicates this might be an issue with the battery door sensor.  The door gets removed when you use a BG.  If the door is not aligned or closing properly it might trigger the error message.  The camera knows when the door is open or off.   I'd carefully remove the door and inspect the area.  Dirt could cause an issue too.  Take a look at let us know what you find.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

No luck

removed/realigned the door, cleaned inside the camera battery slot, and cleaned the batteries 

it keeps trying to recognize that there is a BG, but none is attached 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi,

Since this is a power related error, please confirm your battery (ies) are Canon brand, and that you have tested with more than one?  Next step I would try is resetting the camera's main and custom settings to defaults.  While I am not confident this will help, it won't hurt to try.  If that doesn't work, the camera should be inspected by Canon for a hardware fault. 

If you had a grip, that might help with troubleshooting:

shadowsports_0-1710001864213.png

I wish I had more to offer here.  🙁

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you for the help, but Ive checked that the batteries and they worked on a second camera and they’re also canon brand. Is there a way that you can hard reset the camera? I keep getting this error as soon as the camera turns on, and can’t get to the menu 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Matt,

Hard reset option, unfortunately not. I was hopeful you'd find the issue by removing / installing / inspecting the battery door area.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Found the issue!

thank you so much for your help. I cleaned the inside of the camera one more time with a different microfiber towel, and then let the camera sit without a battery for about an hour, and this seems have fixed the issue

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I do not know why you would get a battery grip message without one installed.  Have you ever installed a battery grip on this camera body?

The message made me wonder if there is an issue with the battery door sensor.  But, if it were an issue with the door sensor, then the camera would not turn on.  In other words, if that were the issue, then you would never see an error message.

981850E2-71CB-4F46-AD06-41B6A7EBF089.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Matt,

Great News!!!!

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements