cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R not detected by PC via USB

dhammab
Contributor

Hello,

I've been trying to set up my camera for tethering, but when it's plugged into my PC (a windows 11 machine), via either a usb-c cable or a usb-c -> usb-3 cable, the camera doesn't even show up in the device manager. Usually in a situation like this I'd download a driver, but there are none available as far as I can tell. Needless to say, the camera also doesn't show up in either EOS Utility or Capture One. 

I've tried disconnected, reconnecting, restarting both the camera and the pc. Have tried it with the memory card both in and out of the camera. Have tried different USB ports. I'm using a direct connection to the PC. 

Any ideas what could be going wrong? I have a number of paid gigs coming up and need to be able to tether.

UPDATE:

After trying another usb-c cable, it immediately detected the camera. I have a feeling this may be related to power draw as someone posted below. Thank you for your help and advice, everyone. Gonna go pick up a new 15' cable and hope that's the end of this particular headache!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Can you please advise if you have successfully used this particular USB cable to tether before?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Can you please advise if you have successfully used this particular USB cable to tether before?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I've used both of these USB cables and ports successfully, as of a couple of weeks ago.

@dhammab wrote:

I've used both of these USB cables and ports successfully, as of a couple of weeks ago.

What did you use the cables to do?  Did you use the cables to connect a Canon cameras to your Windows 11 PC?  

Is your Windows 11 PC based on an Intel chipset?  What brand is it?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I'm using a dell xps 7590 with an intel i7 chipset. I used these cables and ports to tether with my fujifilm gear just a couple of weeks ago without issue. 

Can you try your Fuji today?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I sold my fuji kit for this EOS R, haha.

Did you install the Canon EOS Utility software?  

I do not know if the Canon USB drivers are supported in Windows 11, but you are the first to report issues that I have heard.

It may take a couple of minutes for USB drivers to be downloaded and installed when you first connect the camera.  However, I would expect a system message box to appear that tells you a new device has been detected, even if you have not installed the Canon EOS Utility software.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I installed the Utility software, and have tried both the regular Utility program and Utility 3. 

The camera was plugged into the PC for about four hours last night. I updated my computer and verified I had the latest firmware. Tried restarting both devices several times. There was never a notification that the device had been detected other than the usual "beep beep" noise windows makes when a device has first been plugged in. But again, no device shows up in Device Manager or anywhere else.

I had the same problem when I upgraded my laptop from Windows 10 to Windows 11.  I get around the issue by having my EOS R camera connected to the laptop before I turn it on.  I use the original usb C cable supplied by Canon and make sure the Camera is on as the computer is booting.  Canon needs to update the utility for Windows 11.

Announcements