cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M6

Mako
Apprentice

Hello everyone,

'New member and first post but it's rather urgent. I am considering purchasing a new EOS M6 with a 18-150mm STM lens in the kit for around $450.00. It seems a good deal and would be my first entry into the mirrorless category. Lifetime Canon user-apart from my first camera-Pentax Spotmatic which I still own and use. From there it went to the AE 1,A1 and now I've been shooting with a 7D with plenty of small pocket shooters laying about.

Should I even bother with this? I want something smaller than the 7D for carrying around on a day to day basis. Everything I've read seems fair;y positive and I'm not a very technically oriented guy. Pushing 60 and want to lessen my carry load. That's about it. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

6 REPLIES 6

jasond
Apprentice

I shoot 70D. I just bought a M100 15-45 kit. The IQ is so amazing.It is so small and light weight.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

@Mako wrote:

Hello everyone,

'New member and first post but it's rather urgent. I am considering purchasing a new EOS M6 with a 18-150mm STM lens in the kit for around $450.00. It seems a good deal and would be my first entry into the mirrorless category. Lifetime Canon user-apart from my first camera-Pentax Spotmatic which I still own and use. From there it went to the AE 1,A1 and now I've been shooting with a 7D with plenty of small pocket shooters laying about.

Should I even bother with this? I want something smaller than the 7D for carrying around on a day to day basis. Everything I've read seems fair;y positive and I'm not a very technically oriented guy. Pushing 60 and want to lessen my carry load. That's about it. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

It really depends on what subjects you are going to capture.  One thing you may want to consider is that if you DO intent to get the M6, it might be worth getting the EVF.  It's a lot easier to hold a camera with a telephoto lens *and at full extend your equivalent FL is going to be around 290mm.   I would consider the M5 as well.  I have one and it is very much the same performance as the 80D, which is a fine camera.  The M6 is equivalent in many ways to the 90D, but I have the G3X and it too has the external viewfinder, which is clumsy and adds a lot of bulk.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I am not a fan of zooms that go from wide angle to medium telephoto.  The EF-M lenses all seem to have very good image quality, though.  The M100 has been on clearance sale for a couple of weeks.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-m100-ef-m-15-45mm-and-ef-m-55-200mm-is-stm-kit-black 

I shoot with an M3 and the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM.  It is my pocket camera for walking around.  Because of the wide aperture and short focal length, I can use pretty fast shutter speeds, so camera shake is almost never an issue.

I do not know where you found the M6 and lens kit for sale at that price, but is WAY too low.  

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-m6-ef-m-18-150mm-f35-63-is-stm-kit-black 

Canon currently sells the kit for well over $1000.  I advise that you pass on that deal.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

B&H photo has the M6 on sale for $449. The M6 Mk II  is $1249

D37D90B7-DB0B-46B2-9FEB-2A00AEF92C13.jpeg

FFA22021-99A9-4C80-8602-0F426BD806A2.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

@MikeSowsun wrote:

B&H photo has the M6 on sale for $449. The M6 Mk II  is $1249

D37D90B7-DB0B-46B2-9FEB-2A00AEF92C13.jpeg

FFA22021-99A9-4C80-8602-0F426BD806A2.jpeg

M6 Mk II?! I guess Canon's model naming/numbering system remains as chaotic as ever.

When comparing B&H's prices for the two models, note that the Mk II price includes the add-on viewfinder, while the Mk I price apparently doesn't.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Might be a better option to compare 'base' prices. If you notice he clicked on different packages!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
click here to view the gallery
Announcements