cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M50 vs R10 - Upgrade Recommendations from EOS Rebel T5

brain83
Apprentice

Hello, I need some advice on something. I’m a casual photographer who likes taking pictures of flowers and people. I have a rebel T5 but I’m frustrated with how slow it is and therefore I want to upgrade. I have two lenses EF 18-55 and 75-300. Should I get a M50 Mark 1 for $350 with 15-45 and 55-200 lenses or a r10 with a EF/RF lens mount for $600?

6 REPLIES 6

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The R10 and don’t look back. The M series is, like your T5, a dead end.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Ernie is giving good advice.  The Canon M series is officially discontinued, so you would be investing in an obsolete platform.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

rs-eos
Elite

Completely agree; do not pursue the M-series of cameras.  R-series is the way to go.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

krahe
Rising Star
Rising Star

The only advice I would add is to physically handle an R10 with your lenses or at least the EF/RF adapter before making a decision. The R10 body is more compact than the T5 so ergonomics might be a concern, especially when using lenses other than the RF-S lenses that are the only ones really tailored for it, and doubly so if you have larger hands. (You might actually find the M50 ergonomically better than the R10 when using the lenses you already have even though it has a smaller body still, because it starts with a smaller lens mount.)

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

Both bodies will have to use adapters for the OP's lenses, which are EF or EF-S units, and comparing the two bodies the R10 is actually larger and has more weight, which can be an advantage when working with larger lenses.  All that aside, the M-series is dead and any investment in it will be unable to be leveraged in the future.

Side by Side Comparison Canon EOS M50 II vs. Canon EOS R10: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com...

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"You might actually find the M50 ergonomically better than the R10."

"...  the M-series is dead and any investment in it will be unable to be leveraged in the future."

Doesn't matter, don't buy into a dead end especially considering one of the M series cameras. I suppose you can make a case if it was a Rebel or D90 since they were excellent cameras.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements