cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 90D Video Stutter/Lag

ancestral
Apprentice

Hello all,

Need some advice on laggy video with EOS 90D. The camera is mainly used for photography and occasional time lapse videos.

The device is used on trips, very low on shutter count. Around 10.000. Still works fine when taking photos but there is an unbearable lag/stutter in videos. I rarely shoot FullHD or 4K so i don't know exactly when the problem occurred. Camera is now 3 years old.

I tried with a brand new SDXC Card, still the same result.

Audio is perfect but video is playing like 5 frames per second. It happens on live preview and also on the output movie.

It has 1.1.1 firmware and has the kit EFS 18-135 lens on.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Try resetting the camera back to factory defaults. Something other than the firmware has changed, so do not bother with trying to update the firmware.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Try resetting the camera back to factory defaults. Something other than the firmware has changed, so do not bother with trying to update the firmware.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What specific SD card are you using? Does it have a V-rating on it (e.g. V30, V60, V90)? Perhaps the current card is too slow and is dropping frames.

The V-rating is the most useful rating to go by as it's a sustained write speed. The most prominent value printed on cards are only theoretical max read speeds. Consult your manual for the various bitrates required for your footage. Note though that the V-rating is in megabytes per second and bitrates will be in megabits for second. Thus, for a V30 card, that can handle a max of 240 Mbps recording codecs. Though you typically want a bit of breathing room as well, so when possible, go for the next higher write speed card if you're too close to the maximum.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

ancestral
Apprentice

Cards have V30 rating, same card didnt have such problem before.

Have you formatted the card in the camera lately? Cards that aren't formatted can become fragmented which can take extra time reading to the card.

ancestral
Apprentice

Tried all suggested solutions.

Reset camera, didnt work

Formatted card, didnt work

Changed card, and formatted again, didnt work

Removed battery, changed to old card, reset camera again, and it did work.

Wonderful world of software and it's miraculous way of acting.

Don't know the exact solution but since resetting for the 2nd time was the last step, I'm considering it as a solution. Reset camera>do random component changes>remove some pieces>reset again. 🙂

Thanks for your replies.

Announcements