Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 90D - OS not working in OVF while working on the rear Display

mideli
Contributor

Hello community,

I own 2 cameras: 760D and 90D.

I took the 90D as it is the last DSLR on market (good for people with sensitivity to PWM).

My issue:

When I use OS on any lens, it works on both cameras on the Rear LCD Display (settings 1, 2 and OFF, work as they should)

When I use OS on any lens, it works on the Optical Viewfinder on the 760D (the landscape is steady) while on the 90D is shaking. If I switch to setting 2 (on the lens that has such) nothing happens on 90D on the OVF - the image is shaking (760D it is still steady). If I switch OFF, on the OVF on 90D and 760D becomes shaky. 

I think to return the camera to warranty, but I don't know how to explain..

How can the 90D, have the OS on the lens ON (1 or 2) and work on the Rear LCD Display and when I switch to OVF, the OS goes off. This not happening on another Canon APSC (760D).

Any clues?

Firmware: 1.1.2

20 REPLIES 20

I'm not sure you got the drift of my response to you.  It may not be a 'defect' of that specific camera, it may be a design characteristic of the type or model of camera.  There is no other camera in the Canon DSLR or MILC line-up that has the pixel density of the 90D - in the MILC range the R7 matches it.  The pixel density is thus quite unique and may have frequency issues with the original OIS frequency relating to the aperture size of the photosites. 

As a consequence, if they reconfigured the signal to the OIS to change that frequency, it would then correct the sensor issue, and thus the Live View image, but may have generated an issue for you looking through the VF because of the changed vibration frequency going in and out of sync.

I am suggesting that you check out another 90D to establish whether it is specific to your own unit, or a characteristic of the model.  If it is a characteristic of the model, then it is a design issue, which is a very different one from an individual camera fault.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“ Now I switched to automatic and the image is steady both in the Optical Viewfinder and on the back of the LCD on the 90D.“

If the image is steady in the OVF and on the rear LCD, then that tells me the camera is working properly.  Testi\g in automatic mode takes all the camera setting changes that you may have made off the table.  It is a quick and dirty way to reset the camera back to factory defaults without actually erasing your settings.  Also, the fact that it works in automatic removes operator error from the table, too.

I am going to recommend that you do a full reset of the camera.  This can be a little time consuming.  While there is a menu setting that resets the camera back to factory defaults, it does not completely reset the entire camera.  That function resets everything that does not have a custom sub-menu.  These menu items have their own reset option.

Set the top shooting dial to P.  There should an option in the Wrecnh menu to “Clear All Camera Settings”.  Select it and choose “OK”.  Let’s stop here and see if the issue has gone away.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hello,

I did put it on P mode and went to Wrench 5th page and did the Clear all camera settings -> no change (now I have bluetooth on always. I think this is the only setting I did do initially). 

I then googled and found out that I must press Menu button while turning ON the camera and then go to Clear all camera settings -> no change. 

I also read the jokes of the other user, real Reddit quality. However it got me thinking and I asked my wife while I was holding the camera on A+ to switch to P (is just one tap counter-clockwise) and after one second the OS shuts down. 

When going back to A+ (clockwise, one tap) the image becomes rock steady 

I use a 100-400mm at 400mm, with a building in front of me that has a vertical and horizontal decor line that helps me to observe shake on lateral and horizontal planes. Again A+ is steady (unless I actually move my hand) and P is shaky. M, P, Av, B, Tv modes on 90D turn off OS on lenses (I can actually hear it turning off). When I go to A+, C1, C2, circles, SCN -> is turns on and stays on until I cycle to M, P, AV, TV, B

I saw you gave same answer to other people on the fact that there are other settings (that I am pretty sure I did not touch, as the camera is "new" and I shoot old school as if is film camera). Do you have a procedure on how to really reset the camera?

Hello, the issue did not go away (I tried multiple ways to clear the settings, via P mode, B/M and from OFF position I was holding Menu and then turning on the camera while holding Menu - then clear). None work. All manual modes (B,M,P,Av,Tv) turn off the OS while the other modes leave it open. 

stevet1
Authority
Authority

Then there is this:

The 760D weighs 565g. The 90D weighs 701g. If the optical viewfinder on the 90D works fine in Automatic Mode, could the operator be spending so much time concentrating on the settings in other Modes, that the heavier weight of the camera is causing his hands to shake?

Steve Thomas

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

I realized that you have tried a reset but have you tried a full factory reset of the camera yet, as per the option in the wrench menu, page 5:

Tronhard_0-1724701404729.png

followed by Clear Custom Functions:

Tronhard_1-1724701477857.png

Given your lack of success so far, this is worth a try, I would suggest...

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hello, thank you, yes I did that already. Those easy to find on Google steps I did. I don’t know if there is another step something like putting an sd card etc. 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I must admit that I am stumped. Your is highly unusual. I would compare it to watching your color TV from the sofa, but it is a black and white TV when you sitting in the recliner. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

That is why I was happy to see that automatic works but now I am sad that I still have to do the trip to Paris…

Maybe it is another type of reset that I must do. 

I suggest you register your camera (if you haven't already) and give Canon support a call.

MyCanon

1-800-OK-CANON

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic
Announcements