cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 90D Internal Memory

DanS
Apprentice

Does the subject camera have internal memory?  If so, how much?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

No. the 90D does not have any internal memory....  for image storage.

If you want to take photos, you'll need a memory card.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

No. the 90D does not have any internal memory....  for image storage.

If you want to take photos, you'll need a memory card.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for your reply!

amfoto1
Authority

Rick is right...

You'll need a memory card.

In fact, that's the case with almost any digital camera that's not part of a cell phone! A memory card for image storage is not included.

Technically speaking, the 90D and all other digital do have some internal memory. There are chips where the firmware of the camera and user settings are stored, for example. And there is a buffer that images go into temporarily just prior to being written to the removable memory card. The buffer in the 90D can accommodate 25 RAW files or 58 JPEGs. What this means is if you have the camera set to take images at its fastest frame rate (~10 frames/sec.) and are shooting RAW, you will get about 2.5 seconds burst before the camera needs to slow or pause to clear the buffer. If shooting smaller JPEG files you can take shots at that same rate for almost six seconds before the camera has to pause.

But images "in the buffer" are simply in transit from the processor and waiting to be written to the memory card. The buffer in the camera is sort of like RAM or video RAM in a computer.

The 90D has a single card slot to accommodate SD memory. I believe the 90D was one of the first Canon DSLRs that was able to take advantage of faster "UHS-II" memory cards. If you want to be able to take full advantage of its fastest shooting speeds, I recommend you get fast, high quality UHS-II cards in the size you prefer. Pay attention to the "write speed" of the card, in particular. That's what effects performance in the camera. ("Read speed" effects downloading to your computer.)

How large a card you need depends upon how many shots you take in a day typically along with some personal preference. Just for example, I choose moderate size cards that accommodate about 250 images each, even though I sometimes take several thousand images at an event. I carry around eighteen memory cards (and have even more older, slower cards as back up). I prefer not to "put all my eggs in one basket". If I lose a card or one becomes damaged or corrupted for some reason, I don't want to lose the whole day's work. Some people use one gigantic memory card and shoot for days on end with it.... That would make me very nervous! But do what makes you comfortable. I don't know for certain, but would guess a 32GB memory card would accommodate 250 to 300 of the 90D's RAW files. If that's way more than you ever shoot in a day, maybe 16GB cards would be sufficient. Or maybe sometimes you shoot a lot more than that and would need 64GB or 128GB cards. You can get up to 1TB SD cards for use in the 90D. The camera can handle them.

Price is another factor. Big, fast memory cards can be expensive. Shop around. I look for bundles of two (or more) cards that offer some discount. Speaking of bundles, sometimes retailers bundle a memory card with the camera (possibly along with some other stuff). Often those are not particularly fast or large cards.... probably pretty cheap and not the best deal.

Another thing I recommend avoiding are "micro" SD cards with an adapter. Those tend to write slower and seem to fail a lot more often than standard size, good quality SD cards (which virtually never fail).

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

Thank you for all the additional information on the 90D!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hats off to you Alan 👍

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements