cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 90D Camera sensor scratches

Sadia
Contributor

Hello,

I recently returned from an African safari and needed to clean my lens and camera body. I did everything fine, but once I opened the camera cap and looked at the sensor, I was shocked to see so many scratches (photo attached)! Even though my pictures came out just fine, I was curious to examine (search for spots in the image) if there were any marks on the white paper photo. I checked out some videos on how to do a white paper test to check for spots in the sensor. The white paper photo has no mark on it that I can see (attached). 

I'm wondering if the scratches are common for DSLR cameras. I bought the Canon 90D last year, and it has been great so far. Please let me know if this is something concerning.

Thank you! 

DSLR sensorDSLR sensorwhite paper testwhite paper test

24 REPLIES 24

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I would contact Canon USA Support at 1-800-OK-CANON.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

It looks like what you are seeing is actually the mirror, not the sensor. The mirror only allows you to see the image in the viewfinder; the mirror swings up when you take a photo or record video. It does not affect the image in anyway.

If you haven't been inside the mirror box cleaning the mirror then perhaps it is dust or some fungal growth from camera being in a humid environment?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you so much, John. It is the mirror, not the sensor. I'm new to this, so I freaked out 🙂

Understood😀. If it’s just dust you could try blowing it off or using the method Rick mentioned. It is hard to tell from the image, but I have never seen dust on the mirror look like you posted. The reason I asked if anyone had been inside the mirror box is that if someone tried cleaning and scratched the mirror it could look like that depending on the angle of the light. But, if no one had been in to clean then I think you should rule out that it could be fungus. Fungus can spread into your lenses as well. 

If you aren’t comfortable trying to clean it maybe you have a local specialty camera shop or even a camera club where someone could advise you.

Ultimately you could send to Canon for a clean and adjust. That might be a good idea after returning from a safari. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

It is not dust - I'm sure of that. It looks more like scratches because it stayed as it is even after some air puffs. 

No one touches my camera gear. I have not had anyone cleaned it. Today was the first time I tried cleaning. 

Once I accidentally changed the lens once without turning the camera switch off. It was outside in a park, the weather/temperature was nice and almost no humidity. Do you think that might be a reason for this? I will check with Canon support when I'm back in the US. 

Thanks again!

“Once I accidentally changed the lens once without turning the camera switch off. It was outside in a park, the weather/temperature was nice and almost no humidity. Do you think that might be a reason for this?”

No that did not damage anything.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Off topic but: 1. Sorry you are having this situation. Let us know what you find for future reference for the community. 2. Could we see some photos of your safari?

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

I will share some photos when I download them. I took more than a thousand photos. 🙂

Thank you! 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

John's reply says it all.  Thats the mirror.  I'd start with an air puffer.  Q-Tips and some alcohol.  LESS is more here and do some gentle clean up. 

You can further inspect the sensor once the mirror (box) and surrounding areas are cleaner.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements