cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 850D Low-light pics come out blurry

cbelcher677
Apprentice

Hey everyone I have a canon 850 d and I’m having trouble taking clear pictures in the pitch black all the pictures come out blurry can anyone help? 

5 REPLIES 5

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Any camera will struggle in very low light. You could be getting blurry images because the focusing system does not have enough contrast to work with, and/ or your camera is selecting a shutter speed that is so slow it is causing camera shake.

Depending on the situation, you either:
Add more light via a flash
Use a higher ISO
Lower f/stop
Slower shutter speed - in which case put the camera on a solid object.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you Trevor 

stevet1
Authority
Authority

cbelcher677,

I own an 850D also, and if you ever have a question about how to use it, I'll be glad to help if I can.

As Trevor said, all cameras need light in order to take a picture. No camera will take a picture in the "pitch black".

Steve Thomas

That's a generous offer from Steve, and I would recommend you take it up!

Also you might profit by watching the following tutorial video:

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

If the camera isn't locking focus the camera's built in flash can provide an AF Assist Beam. The camera rapidly pulses the built in flash. Or an external speedlite can project a red grid pattern so the camera can lock focus in low light. This method is faster than Intermittent Flash Firing. Which the built in flash uses. A slow shutter speed will reveal camera shake as my colleague Trevor said.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

Announcements