cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 80D Lens stuck

usdharris
Apprentice

I have no idea how a student did this, but the EOS 80D has a EF 70-200 lens installed and it will not detach. The lens release button depresses normally, it seems anyway, the lens has a tiny free movement, but it will not turn for removal. The camera also does not recognize the lens or any of the functions fail to operate. I'm sensing it got put on wrong, somehow. Is there a trick or process I can perform to get it reseated properly?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you cannot free it by turning counterclockwise (looking down lens to camera) I would recommend you send it to Canon. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I only bring this up because I got bit by this, but Nikon and Canon's turn in opposite directions to remove the lens.

EF user since 1987, so now it is just by muscle memory. Your post made me check. Yes, CCW looking down lens towards camera to remove. 😃

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I said what I did in case the teacher is a Nikon guy.

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Greetings, usdharris

I'm sorry to hear that the lens is stuck on the EOS 80D camera to where it cannot be removed. We do not recommend applying too much force to remove the lens. If the lens release button on the camera is unable to be pushed down all the way then we would suggest to send the camera and lens to our service facility where a technician can work on separating the two units.

Please visit our online repair portal to begin the repair process. The first step is to log in to your My Canon account by clicking on the following link. When viewing your products, you will see three red dots to the right of each item. Selecting this will provide a few options, one being the option to receive support. The next page will provide you with the link to submit the item for repair.

https://myprofile.americas.canon.com/us/signin

Crews69
Contributor

@usdharris wrote:

I have no idea how a student did this, but the EOS 80D has a EF 70-200 lens installed and it will not detach. The lens release button depresses normally, it seems anyway, the lens has a tiny free movement, but it will not turn for removal. The camera also does not recognize the lens or any of the functions fail to operate. I'm sensing it got put on wrong, somehow. Is there a trick or process I can perform to get it reseated properly?

DNA HRBlock Login

Thanks

Did you turn off the camera when tried to remove the lens. Try taking some photos with it on your 30D and make sure the lens is functioning properly, autofocus etc. and then try. You could also try changing the f-stop to see if that helps.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Crews69

"Did you turn off the camera when tried to remove the lens. Try taking some photos with it on your 30D 80D and make sure the lens is functioning properly, autofocus etc. and then try. You could also try changing the f-stop to see if that helps."

Greetings,

Sadly, the camera's power state does not affect one's ability to mount or unmount a lens.  Mount and unmounting are a physical action.  The OP stated the body is not communicating with the lens so taking a picture is not possible, nor would it change his situation.  Since the lens is the real investment here, I agree... I'd send it in to Canon.  It might be helpful for them to inspect the camera and mount once the pieces are separated.  

@usdharris..  hope you find a solution.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Is there a trick or process I can perform to get it reseated properly?"

If you are in fact turning it the correct direction 🤔 it needs to go to Canon service.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Kenneth4019
Contributor

@usdharris wrote:

Thanks

If you cannot free it by turning counterclockwise (looking down lens to camera) I would recommend you send it to Canon.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements