cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 7D autofocus doesn't hold target

stockdizzle
Contributor

Noob here.  I've read the manual and checked Google as much as I can, but I'm unable to solve this simple problem.  Just bought a used 7D and can't seem to figure out how to have it stay locked on a target as I recompose the shot.  When I half-depress the shutter button it focuses, but when I move the target it changes focus to whatever else was in that focal area.  I've tried going into 'C.FnIII: Autofocus / Drive' (sub menu 6) and checked (enabled) all the options (both the square box, and bullseyed square box on right), but it still isn't locking focus.  Phase Detection is enabled.  What am I doing wrong here?  It is my understanding that the bulleyed square targets are cross-type sensors (Canon's more advanced, precise focusing technology), and that was my initial intent--to be able to select a focal point, lock it, then recenter and compose the shot.  Please help--thanks!

Canon EOS 7D (original--not Mark anything)

Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 telephoto lens

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Haha, well no wonder!  Apparently in AV mode it will not take a picture if it is not in focus lock...  

Problem solved!  Thanks everyone.  🙂

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Skirball
Authority

Are you holding the shutter half-pressed?  You need to keep it half pressed, recompose, then complete the actuation. 

Though if you're having difficulty now would be a great time to look into "back button focus".  Tons of information out there.  Basically, you focus via a button on the back (usually the AF-ON button), instead of using half press.

Thanks for replying. Yes, the camera is re-focusing while I have the shutter half-pressed, which is why I'm confused. I will read up on back button focus. Maybe there's some setting I have to change, but that seems weird since I'd assume this functionality to be set as default.

You may try to set the AF-on rear button to control auto focus and remove half press AF feature from the shutter button.

This is an awesome feature and let you have better control over focusing and metering.

@ezpop wrote:

You may try to set the AF-on rear button to control auto focus and remove half press AF feature from the shutter button.

That's 'back button focus'.

Yes. I think it's time to increase the font size of my PC and to wear my reading glasses. I might have misunderstood it to be front/back focus when I scanned too quickly across the lines.

Yes AF-ON button on the camera is indeed for "back button focus".

Bob beat me to it but I'm thinking it's not set to ONE SHOT. Servo mode won't lock because it expects a moving target.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks for the reply. It was and always has been on ONE SHOT throughout this issue, assuming that if it displays "ONE SHOT" on the display during operation then it is in-fact in ONE SHOT mode (without other steps/possible mode settings).  This is why I'm nervous as to either my noobism or the internal condition of the camera. I'm wondering if there really could be such a software glitch though. Thoughts on that?

Haha, well no wonder!  Apparently in AV mode it will not take a picture if it is not in focus lock...  

Problem solved!  Thanks everyone.  🙂

Announcements