cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 70D weather sealed?

RogerCook
Contributor

Does anyone know if the 70D will be weather sealed, I'm thinking of making the switch from Olympus E-3 to Canon but wanted a swing out display like the E-3. I shoot at the beach everyday and never had a problem with the E-3 and mist, wave splash or sand.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RogerCook
Contributor

Ok so I found this on DP reviews site.

Canon's spec sheet for the EOS 70D says it has water and dust resistance 'equivalent to the EOS-1N' - Canon's professional 35mm SLR in the mid-1990s. It's debatable how much this information will mean to most buyers, but the implication is that it shouldn't be fazed by a splash of rain. The diagram below gives an idea of how the body is sealed (courtesy of Canon EU).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The 70D is water and dust 'resistant'. It is not water proof.

IMHO, coming from an Olympus E3 to a Canon 70D or a 7D will be a worthy upgrade.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I was questioning it due to the 1Dx, 5D Mark lll, 6D, and 7D all say weather resistant in the features but the 70D does not state that.

"The Canon EOS 7D is constructed out of rugged magnesium-alloy and is sealed against dust and weather. The 7D's shutter is equally rugged and tested for up to 150,000 exposure cycles. Images can be recorded to Type I and II, UDMA-compliant CompactFlash cards in either sRGB or Adobe RGB, and you can expect up to 800 exposures per charge using the camera's rechargeable lithium-ion battery."

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The 60D is weather sealed although Canon never really marketed it.  My expectation is that the 70D would also be weather sealed as well.  I've noticed they have not yet posted any documentation for it.

There are different degrees of weather seals and some bodies have better treatment than others.  The seals merely mean that they've put gaskets around all the body seams and o-rings around the dials so that water and dust shouldn't make it through as long it's not under pressure.  BTW, this assumes your lens(es) are also weather sealed.  If you're near a pool and the camera gets splashed, or you get caught in the rain... not a big deal.  Just towel it off before opening the battery or memroy card compartments or before removing the lens. 

But I've noticed on my weather sealed bodies that the memory card door isn't really sealed, nor is the battery door (although the battery door is on the bottom and the pins are all the way up at the top of the compartment.  So it's not likely water would make it up there unless you left your camera upside down while out in the rain.)  I probably wouldn't use the camera to go take photos during a typhoon and expect no water could make it inside.  

If you really expect to be using a need protection from weather, there are some rain jacket solutions for the cameras and there are even fully sealed underwater housings available for many DSLRs.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

RogerCook
Contributor

Ok so I found this on DP reviews site.

Canon's spec sheet for the EOS 70D says it has water and dust resistance 'equivalent to the EOS-1N' - Canon's professional 35mm SLR in the mid-1990s. It's debatable how much this information will mean to most buyers, but the implication is that it shouldn't be fazed by a splash of rain. The diagram below gives an idea of how the body is sealed (courtesy of Canon EU).

Announcements