cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 70D Exposure setting recommendations for northern lights

kd6y74
Apprentice

Currently in the UP of Michigan trying to take pics of the northern lights. Can’t seem to get the setting right .. any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Don't feel bad. I just spent 12 days in Alaska and I never saw the aurora borealis.  I was up late too.  🙂

18-135mm and  55-250mm.  Those are nice kit lenses, I owned both years ago.  However, they are not optimal choices for night time or astro photography.  Popular lenses for this might be something 14-35mm with an aperture of f1.8 or f1.4.  Shutter somewhere in the 8-12 sec range, ISO 6400 or less and a tripod.

Any lens with a maximum aperture above f2.8 will require higher ISO and longer shutter.  The camera's sensor only has so much capability.  Without a tripod, you'll get blur.  The higher ISO's will also introduce various degrees of graininess.  The photosites on an APS-C sensor are smaller and have less light gathering capability.  That is not to say you cannot get good night time shots with an APS-C based camera, but a faster lens is needed to help the sensor do its job.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

What lens(es) are you shooting with?  A tripod is also recommended.  Any pics for us to look at? Or links to uploads that have EXIF data.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

kd6y74
Apprentice

I believe I’m not properly equipped.  My lens won’t go down passed f3.5 (ef-s. 18-135mm and  55-250mm) and no tripod.Never got any pics with my canon just used (unfortunately) iPhone. All new to this .. keep reading its trial and error for settings. No lights forecasted tonight. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Don't feel bad. I just spent 12 days in Alaska and I never saw the aurora borealis.  I was up late too.  🙂

18-135mm and  55-250mm.  Those are nice kit lenses, I owned both years ago.  However, they are not optimal choices for night time or astro photography.  Popular lenses for this might be something 14-35mm with an aperture of f1.8 or f1.4.  Shutter somewhere in the 8-12 sec range, ISO 6400 or less and a tripod.

Any lens with a maximum aperture above f2.8 will require higher ISO and longer shutter.  The camera's sensor only has so much capability.  Without a tripod, you'll get blur.  The higher ISO's will also introduce various degrees of graininess.  The photosites on an APS-C sensor are smaller and have less light gathering capability.  That is not to say you cannot get good night time shots with an APS-C based camera, but a faster lens is needed to help the sensor do its job.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

As Rick says, the wider the aperture the better.

Some aurora are moving and you want a higher shutter speed, but if you are lucky to get relative static aurora you could get a good shot with your equipment. 

I captured this in Iceland. One-click Auto in Lightroom produced the processed image. 

Screenshot 2023-09-04 090536.jpgScreenshot 2023-09-04 090405.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements