cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 6D Mark II Low battery while importing

tzerca
Apprentice

Hi,

I have imported my photos from my Canon EOS 6D Mark II with WiFi from the camera to my MacBook Air M1 and I have managed to import all the photos, but now when I came back to the room, the camera didn't had more battery left, I needed to charge it and I could not turn it on, it was just the red light blinking when I was turning it on. I can't understand how all the 1800 photos has been imported with such low battery, before I started it was not that low battery, but I think it was 30 % left on the battery, I really don't know, but I'm worried that some files may be corrupted or damaged due to this problem. I noticed today that the camera has also imported 1853 photos, and not 1851 photos which was the total amount of images stored on the memory card in the camera, it's 2 photos more than the actual amount, but I have been deleting photos earlier directly on the camera, and I think it may be that. Can someone tell me if this is actually a problem that the battery is low during import from Wifi?

I will think that if the battery had very low battery during the import with Wifi, it would have cancelled or interrupted the import because of low battery/empty battery?

Best regards,
Gerhard Øpsen

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Hello. Welcome to the forum. 

I can’t explain or assist in what happened during your Wi-Fi download, but my recommendation is to purchase a card reader and use that. A card reader is quicker, easier and more reliable.

When you have completed the download I also recommend that you format the card in camera when you re-install the card.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It is hard to say what exactly happened.  We can only guess.  I would point out that Wi-Fi is best used for remote shooting, and is probably the slowest method of transferring images.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... my recommendation is to purchase a card reader and use that. A card reader is quicker, easier and more reliable."

This is my recommendation also. I also agree with formatting the SD card before each shoot. Never use it as a storage device. It is not one. I also would never put 1800+ images on one SD card. Buy several and switch them out often perhaps at 200 to 250 photos or so.

If you haven't, d/l the free from Canon DPP4. You can use it and the card reader or a USB cable to u/l to your computer and edit your photos.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I agree with the others that if you are able to access your laptop, then remove the card from the camera, put it into the computer's card reader or via a USB reader and download it that way.  It is much more reliable, faster and simpler and does not drain the battery.  If you are still out in the field, then if necessary for space, you should have a spare card and switch that in, making sure the card is in a protective case (like the one they come with).

You should always have spare battery capacity - either via a battery grip, or simply carrying extra batteries with you.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements