cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5d mark iii battery issues

korbendallas
Apprentice

Hi all

First time poster here, i've just joined the community and having scoured the forum for an answer to my question and not found one have found myself here. 

I have an issue. My camera will not power on, nothing! After doing some research I found that this is a common issue when the internal battery depleats and simply changing this will fix. Which I did and which it did. For all of around a day, my camera worked and now we are back to no life. The battery I replaced with was a camera specific one so I'm not concerned that it ran out already.

Please, wonderful camera nerds, help!

Sam

4 REPLIES 4

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Sam,

Are you talking about the lithium "coin cell" used to back up settings?  I didn't realize its failure would cause the camera to go completely dead but if that is the case then it is possible that the replacement you bought (2016 lithium) itself was defective.  This happens with some frequency because these lithium coin cells are one of the most highly counterfeited products sold and there are many that are simply defective from the start.  Try a replacement from a local retailer (like Walmart) and check the expiration date.  Amazon is NOT a reliable source for these batteries because that is where a lot of counterfeit ones are sold.

It is also quite possible that your camera has an issue and in the process of removing and inserting the backup battery, you allowed it to reset.  If a replacement battery doesn't cure the issue then it is time for Canon service.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi there,

Since replacing the battery resolved the issue for a bit and then it went back, there could be a few things happening here.

The problem may stem from a loose or dirty connection in the power system, maybe the battery contacts have some corrosion from the previous battery which is preventing a solid connection or maybe something became loose in the process, so it may be good to reseat the battery and make sure the contacts are clean.

Otherwise there may be a more serious issue relating to the power management. If a capacitor is not functioning properly and constantly pulling power it may be draining the battery very quickly, or some other part of the system may have failed. In case the above does not work, it would probably be best to have the camera looked at by a technician.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Are you talking about the lithium "coin cell" used to back up settings?"

I also don't exactly know what battery you mean either.  The keep alive or clock battery, the little coin looking one isn't rechargeable that I know of.  Also the camera should turn on whether that battery is there or not.  You will have to set the date and time if it isn't there or dead.

I think you have more serious problem and need to call Canon service.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@korbendallas wrote:

Hi all

First time poster here, i've just joined the community and having scoured the forum for an answer to my question and not found one have found myself here. 

I have an issue. My camera will not power on, nothing! After doing some research I found that this is a common issue when the internal battery depleats and simply changing this will fix. Which I did and which it did. For all of around a day, my camera worked and now we are back to no life. The battery I replaced with was a camera specific one so I'm not concerned that it ran out already.

Please, wonderful camera nerds, help!

Sam

The first thing to check should have been the micro-switches on the doors for the battery compartment and memory cards.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements