cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mark IV freezing up in self-timer mode

jehnashley
Contributor

I am having a sudden issue using self-timer mode on my Canon EOS 5D Mark IV.

I was taking some family pictures & then was going to do a large group photo using self-timer.  I set it to 10 seconds, press down the shutter button to start the timer and then run into the photo before the timer ends.

I have done this process many times before!

Yesterday the shutter would not fire . . . at all! then the screen would freeze up completely.  I was not able to press the Q to access the screen or anything.  I was panicked and worried the camera is broke.  Through a quick google search I learned that it was due to being in self-timer mode.  I turned the camera off of self-timer and sure enough I was able to fire the shutter button again.

Why am I no longer able to use self-timer? 

Thank you!

10 REPLIES 10

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

What lenses, batteries and other accessories are you using on your camera. If they're 3rd Party remove them and retest with Canon equipment. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

I am using a sigma lens, but canon batteries.  I do not have a canon lens to use--but I have done this before (with the current equipment I have).

Has the camera been updated. I would also borrow a Canon EF lens. To rule out the Sigma lens potentially causing a problem now.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

The camera has not been updated.

I will try with a canon lens!

I just tried with my 50mm lens (canon brand) and the same thing happened! 😞

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

jehnashley,

Is the 2-second timer also misbehaving?

Steve Thomas

Yes!  I get the same response for either timer.

I just took some pictures of my husband & kids for father's day!  Works perfectly fine.  Tried the self timers again and it froze up!  So weird.

jehnashley,

I'm not sure what to tell you. I don't see anything in the camera's menu system to tell you to Enable or Disable the self-timer.

Two things I might look at:

1) Have you tried a remote control accessory, and does the same thing happen?

2) If you are in One-Shot, the camera will not take a picture if it can't achieve focus. If you are in Servo mode, the camera will take a picture whether it's in focus or not.

Other than that, I can't think of anything.

Steve Thomas

I checked the focus.  It was in Servo so unfortunately that isn't the problem.  Thank you so much for your suggestions!!

I don't have a remote, but I will get one & try that

click here to view the gallery
Announcements