cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mark IV Shutter Count

Carlosalves
Contributor

I would like to know if there is already an app that sees the number of clicks of my Canon EOS 5D Mark IV. thank you

24 REPLIES 24

stevesmede
Apprentice

So the short answer is no, there's no app. Why all the pointless debate of whether you should care about the REASON for it? Nice thread.

@stevesmede wrote:

So the short answer is no, there's no app. Why all the pointless debate of whether you should care about the REASON for it? Nice thread.

I agree.  Knowing the shutter count is pointless.  The shutter will fail when it gets good and ready.

There are a number of apps that claim to provide an accurate shutter count that actually alter the firmware in the camera.  These changes can alter the behavior of the camera, and have been known to cause unexpected failures.  

Also, many people swear by the importance of knowing the shutter count.  The shutter will fail when it gets good and ready.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The ShutterCount app on my iMac is reliable, according to Canon reps. Other than that, yes, I've heard the same thing about some apps that actually tinker with code. Not good! I only need to know the count (which I now have figured out) to satisfy my eBay clientele. Don't mind if I just copy and paste your comment into my listing!

I agree, the reason for wanting to know the shutter count wasn't in question.  the question was simple, but the answers, not so much.

I am selling my 5D MK IV, and the only opinion that matters is that of the potential buyer, and so far they seem to think it's a great question (much to my dismay).

I'm not about to send my camera to Canon for a shutter count either, so my potential to sell the camera at my optimal price is considerably inhibited.    😞

From what I've gathered, the MK IV doesn't store the shutter count data in a photo's EXIF data.  Therefore the web based "solutions" that have you upload a photo are of no use.

I have tried several PC apps, but none of them worked.

I found this article useful:  https://phototacopodcast.com/getting-shutter-actuation-count-from-canon-cameras/

They claim that "eosmsg" works @ $5.18, but I'm not sure if I trust loading it on my PC??

If you have an iOS device look into ShutterCount by Dire Studio. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

If you have an iOS device look into ShutterCount by Dire Studio. 

And, it is rated 3 out of 5 stars.  The best way is to get a count from Canon.  

--------------------------

If a person looking to buy a used camera is that worried about shutter count, then they should buy a new camera, instead.  

It is a topic that is best left closed.  I've been there.  You give them a count, and then the 20 questions game begins.  When was the count taken?  How did you get the count?  How do you know it is correct?  How many photos have been taken since the count was recorded?  Can you do another count?  

When asks for a count, I raise the price.  "It is to cover the cost of sending the camera to Canon."

Waddizzle  I hear you.

With online sales your conversion rate depends on Speed.  If the potential buyer doesn't get the warm and fuzzies within a couple of seconds, they just click-off.

My MK IV is on eBay, and the ultimate price is dictated by the purchaser, especially if there's an abundant inventory.

I'll sell it, because I have an excellent record, people know my high standards, and I put effort into my listings...  But, it won't sell as fast, or for quite as much (maybe), and I like giving my potential buyers as much info. as I can, which is one of the reasons I get top dollar for my listings.

And to jrhoffman75 point...  I have a friend with a Mac, and a MK IV who has an app that does read the shutter count, but he is not close to me and I'm not shipping this camera anywhere but to the person who purchases it    🙂

Thanks for the comments!!

Happy Holidays...  AM

33527FFD-2B75-4C05-898E-F1D6692DA31A.jpeg

ShutterCount on iOS device compared to back of camera.

BC200014-9F58-473B-A848-FD5BCBDA9921.jpeg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

ShutterCount on iOS device compared to back of camera.

That's nice.  But, does it work with the 5D4?  It is a much older camera.

95EBFC5E-DB8A-4269-BA89-F74AC336CA91.jpeg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements