cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mark IV New Lens for Landscape / Travel

MichaVandiver88
Contributor

Hi, so I have been a music / entertainment photographer then a wedding and family photog but now I’m living  at my eco lodge in Costa Rica and I’m back to what I had originally wanted to do many many moons ago, nature and wildlife photography. I have my close up lens for nature but I’m looking for a landscape lens. If money wasn’t an option within reason  (can’t believe I’m finally that grown up) which lens of choice would you choose for the scenery in Costa Rica? Or any vast beautiful and lush country side? 😆 

I own an art gallery now with other artists as I also became a metalsmith during Covid but would love to capture the area of where I live and also sell my prints in my studio.

If it was one wide lens for landscape which lens would buy and why? For my 5D Mark iv 

Thanks! 

13 REPLIES 13

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What camera?

Way too early to post without my coffee. My apologies. 5dMark iv I updated my post. Thanks for pointing that out. 

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Don't have any experience with wide angle (shortest focal length I use is a 50mm), but wondering if panoramas may be worthwhile in creating?  It does take a steady tripod and preferably gear that would allow you to work with the nodal point of your camera/lens combos.

I've created panoramas now with both my 50mm f/1.2 and 135mm f/2 (9 images total then merged in Photoshop).  This leads to around 110 megapixel images with a 5D IV.  You'd have the option of very large prints, or lots of opportunities to crop in.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Oh I like that idea too! I have that 50mm, which is one of my favorites. I was looking at buying the 135mm as I used to have one and it was stolen. I replaced it with an 85mm, which is beautiful but tricky in low light. I will try your idea though. ☺️

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

IMHO, a 50mm or 135mm and even an 85mm isn't a top choice for landscapes. I would very much favor the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III USM Lens as my first choice. If the price is too steep, I found the Tokina Opera 16-28mm f/2.8 FF Lens to be just as good. Perhaps a tad bit better, at half the price!

Bottom line is any lens can do landscapes. It is just some are better suited for it. Typically a more WA lens is prefered. Longer lenses tend to compress the shot while shorter lenses tend to enhance it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I was thinking the 16mm as well. Out of all the lenses I own, that was one that I didn’t have. I was also looking at the TS lens too. Price is fine… I honestly wanted to ask here mainly for others input since this is one lens I hadn’t tried. Thank you for your response. 

The 50, 135, etc. work great when doing panoramas (especially the 135).  But yes, if using a single lens, a wide angle would be better.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I was also looking at the TS lens too. "

This also would not be my first choice. Sick with something in a zoom in the 16 to 28 to 35 mm FL. If you want to try a pano with your 85mm or 135mm make sure you use it in the vertical position. Again not a FL in my first choice category. I have used my 70-200mm f2.8L for panos but usually it is all the way at the 70mm FL end. And, yes, you can do panos by handholding.I do it all the time. I usually keep it around 3 to 7 shots.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Here is a hand held pano using seven shots and stitched in LR. I used my 24-70mm f2.8L lens in the vertical position.

pano.jpg

EB
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements