cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mark IV Introduced

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

My favorite, NYC based, online Canon retailer is holding an event today, introducing the 30MB 5D mark IV.  The specifications for the camera are online, and the camera is available for pre-order.  It is priced comparable to the 5Ds cameras.  It looks like a winner.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
28 REPLIES 28

@Waddizzle wrote:

My favorite, NYC based, online Canon retailer is holding an event today, introducing the 30MB 5D mark IV.  The specifications for the camera are online, and the camera is available for pre-order.  It is priced comparable to the 5Ds cameras.  It looks like a winner.

The 5D4 was more or less expected – some might even say overdue. But it's accompanied by several lens upgrades, and I'm not sure any of us saw that coming.

Hmmm... I guess it's just two new lenses. In the email I thought it looked like more. Anyway, the two are upgrades of already very popular lenses.

BTW, I can't help noticing that the 5D4/24-105 II kit isn't much of a bargain. It costs $1 more than buying the camera and the lens separately!

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

The 5D4 was more or less expected – some might even say overdue. But it's accompanied by several lens upgrades, and I'm not sure any of us saw that coming.

The EF 24-105 f/4L IS was in desperate need of updating. 

@TTMartin wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Y'know, I lot of people seem to say that, but I've gotten very good results with mine. Maybe I just got an especially good copy.

Bob

B from B,

"...  but I've gotten very good results ..."

As you already know the ef 24-105mm f4L is my rated 'best buy' in a Canon "L" lens. I have had good luck with several of them over the years so I can't complain either.  Made a lot of money with them.  But you can make good, gooder!  Can't you?  Also as a general rule of thumb Canon lenses beat brand-N consistently with few exceptions. One is the cheap 50mm f1.8, brand-N is better.  The other is Nikon's verison of the 24-105.  The AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Lens.  Perhaps I will have to remove it from that side of the ledger but the "L" will  still not have 120mm.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA

Speaking of goodness, the 5D Mk III is/was already a good camera.  As good as it gets some say, including me.  I guess we will see if the Mk IV is gooder!Smiley Wink

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA

Speaking of goodness, the 5D Mk III is/was already a good camera.  As good as it gets some say, including me.  I guess we will see if the Mk IV is gooder!Smiley Wink

Well, 30 Mp is not to be sneered at, assuming it doesn't compromise the camera's low-light performance compared to the 5D3. I suppose the dual-pixel autofocus is A Good Thing as well. The WiFi, touch screen, and alleged video improvements I could easily live without if that would lower the price a bit.

Are they going to keep making the 5D3 or phase it out when the present stock is exhausted? (I ask because I assume that your Canon sources are better than mine.)  Smiley Wink

Bob

B from B,

"Are they going to keep making the 5D3 or phase it out when the present stock is exhausted?"

I suspect the last 5d3 has already been made. Maybe we'll see some good close-outs?

You are right 30 vs 22.  At one time 8 mp was all a camera had instead of just an update.

EB

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Y'know, I lot of people seem to say that, but I've gotten very good results with mine. Maybe I just got an especially good copy.

It's good stopped down especially at the long end, but, wide open it leaves a lot to be desired. In my opinion what you are paying for in an L lens is great image quality, even when wide open, the original EF 24-105 f/4L IS just doesn't deliver in that regard. I'm sure that will have changed with the new one.

"...desparate need of updating?" There probably isn't a product anywhere that can't be improved upon in some way, but "desperate need?" That's a bit melodramatic, isn't it? I never knew there was anything wrong with this lens. I've just re-examied some raw files made with my 5D Mk III and the 24-105 and I can't find anything wrong with the photos. Focus? Check. Color? Check. Sharpness? Check. So what should I be looking for?

Announcements