cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mark IV Custom modes

bluesjb1
Contributor

After setting 3 custom modes my 5d mk iv won’t properly work in regular modes ie: M, AV, TV etc. Do I have to clear and start over? Please tell me there’s another way other than that. It took a lot of time & thought putting those settings like I wanted them. Help!

James Bryant 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@bluesjb1 wrote:

Hello Wasdizzle,

Thanks for you input into my custom mode issue.

it was an ordeal, but it’s done. It’s working now we’ll see if I have the same issues when I have me make changes to any of my current custom mode.

Again, thanks for your input

James

If you have disabled updates for Custom Modes, then your changes WILL NOT be retained.  Custom shooting modes are a PRESET, not a memory slot.  A custom shooting mode allows you to reconfigure the entire camera with one click.  

Custom shooting modes are not for memory recall.  If you wish to retain whatever changes you have made to the current camera settings, then DO NOT USE a custom shooting mode.

If you wish to modify the preset settings for your Custom Shooting mode, then you must make the changes and then REGISTER the changes to the camera.  Otherwise, the settings will revert back to the previous preset definition that you registered.

That is how custom shooting modes work.  Adjust your work flow accordingly.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

No, I DON'T have this problem, I inadvertently clicked on it and I can't seem to reverse the choice!

When you have set a custom mode, you either set it to the C1-3 setting first and then config it, or in one of the other modes config and then save it to a custom mode.  If you use the former method, switching from the C# mode should allow the camera to return to the default settings of the new mode (like Av).  However, if you use the latter method, then you have to reset the camera back to the correct settings for that mode.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi Trevor,

I configured in my chosen mode prior to saving to the desired C#
That being the case, you’re saying I should be able to work normally in the regular modes ie AV or whatever? 

What I am saying is that if you configured those setting in, say, Av mode, then saved them to C1 the settings are recorded in C1 and Av because you set them in Av mode.  So, you have to reverse any changes to Av afterwards, if you used that method.

If, on the other hand, you switch to C1, before making the changes, and then save them, when you then revert back to Av mode, you should see the previous Av settings.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi Trevor,

Again, thank you for your help with the custom mode settings. I tried your second method, and got no response. What I finally wound up restarting the computer(camera) like before,😂 then redoing my custom modes. For whatever reason that worked. I think something’s up with the camera because I don’t think I should have to restart it from scratch every time I have to make changes. Is that normal?

Anyway thanks again,

James

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Custom shooting modes, C1-3, are completely independent of the other Creative shooting modes. The custom modes are a Preset, and nothing more.  

[You use a Creative Shooting mode as a template definition for your creating and registering your custom shooting mode.  In other words, you are creating an independent copy!]

For example, I defined two custom shooting modes based upon the Manual Creative Mode.  I first went into M mode set One Shot AF, Single Shot Drive Mode with BBF, and then registered that as C1.  

Next, I returned to Manual Mode set AI Servo AF, Continuous Drive Mode without BBF, and then registered as C2.  I also defined default exposure settings for shutter, aperture, and ISO for each custom mode.  I also disabled updated custom mode settings.

My Manual mode can be set to anything I like, and it has no impact on the C1 and C2 presets.  If you wish to retain your current settings you are using, simply do not use a Custom Shooting Mode.

Hello Wasdizzle,

it was an ordeal, but it’s done. It’s working now we’ll see if I have the same issues when I have me make changes to any of my current custom mode.

James

@bluesjb1 wrote:

Hello Wasdizzle,

James

If you have disabled updates for Custom Modes, then your changes WILL NOT be retained.  Custom shooting modes are a PRESET, not a memory slot.  A custom shooting mode allows you to reconfigure the entire camera with one click.  

Custom shooting modes are not for memory recall.  If you wish to retain whatever changes you have made to the current camera settings, then DO NOT USE a custom shooting mode.

If you wish to modify the preset settings for your Custom Shooting mode, then you must make the changes and then REGISTER the changes to the camera.  Otherwise, the settings will revert back to the previous preset definition that you registered.

That is how custom shooting modes work.  Adjust your work flow accordingly.

Announcements