cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mark III Time Lapse

fotografo
Apprentice

Is there a way to take time-lapse photos with an EOS Mark III, either with a built-in function or using the PC utility or a remote? Chat GPT says there is a function, but it seems that is incorrect 😕

Thank you.

Fabián

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

normadel
Authority
Authority

Here is the actual answer to your question:

NO, the 5D MkIII does not have time-lapse capability (an intervalometer) by itself. This does not seem to be something that Canon saw fit to build in even on high-priced pro-level cameras.

Do you have the manual for the camera? Download it from Canon and look at it. The System Map on page 363 shows the Timer Remote Controller TC-80N3, which is a programmable wired remote that lets you do all kinds of things. You can download its instruction manual. There are also aftermarket "equivalent" remotes available.

YES, Canon EOS Utility software also provides the same capabilities, if you want to be tethered to a computer. The Remote controller gives you portability.

View solution in original post

fotografo
Apprentice

Thank you normandel! I found the time-lapse function on the desktop app. For some reason it was previously greyed out, but today it worked! And thanks for the info about the remote, it might be useful for when I want to be untethered to the PC. Oh, and yes, I do have the user manual 😉

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

There is no "EOS Mark III", can you be more specific with the model number? Do you mean the 5D Mark III?

Sorry, I forgot that detail 😯. Yes, 5D Mark III.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Oh, and as for using ChatGPT to get actual *answers* I saw this on Language Log:

"From today's Comic Curmudgeon blog:

One of the fascinating things about the current state of AI is that in science fiction, we imagined that robots would be able to dryly give ultra-correct answers to concrete questions but struggle with nuance, emotion, and (for some reason) contractions, while what we have today are chatbots like ChatGPT that will respond to your questions in fully idiomatic English paragraphs full of confidently delivered vague bull**bleep**ting and outright errors."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@fotografo wrote:

Is there a way to take time-lapse photos with an EOS Mark III, either with a built-in function or using the PC utility or a remote? Chat GPT says there is a function, but it seems that is incorrect 😕

Thank you.

Fabián

There is not much assistance and advice we can offer to you without knowing the exact model number of the camera you are using.  No abbreviations or nicknames, please.  Thanks.

If you have not already downloaded the full User Guide for your camera you do begin here.

https://www.usa.canon.com/support 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Are you trying to create a time lapse video for viewing or astrophotography?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

normadel
Authority
Authority

Here is the actual answer to your question:

NO, the 5D MkIII does not have time-lapse capability (an intervalometer) by itself. This does not seem to be something that Canon saw fit to build in even on high-priced pro-level cameras.

Do you have the manual for the camera? Download it from Canon and look at it. The System Map on page 363 shows the Timer Remote Controller TC-80N3, which is a programmable wired remote that lets you do all kinds of things. You can download its instruction manual. There are also aftermarket "equivalent" remotes available.

YES, Canon EOS Utility software also provides the same capabilities, if you want to be tethered to a computer. The Remote controller gives you portability.

fotografo
Apprentice

Thank you normandel! I found the time-lapse function on the desktop app. For some reason it was previously greyed out, but today it worked! And thanks for the info about the remote, it might be useful for when I want to be untethered to the PC. Oh, and yes, I do have the user manual 😉

Announcements