cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mark II ISO option limitations

Kenpoist7
Contributor

I'm old , my camera (5D Mark II) is old, lets start there.

I've just starting learning the camera by watching YouTube. A couple of individuals talk about ISO and they use the "native" ISO settings most i.e. 160, 320, 640... However, my ISO is 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200 and 6400. Even if I change ISO expansion on I only get the addition of L, H1 and H2. The Videos show that their ISO's are much more robust 100, 125, 160, 200, 250, 320, 400, 500, 640, 800, 1000, 1250, 1600, 2000, 2500, 3200, 4000, 5000, 6400.

I've updated the firmware to 2.1.2 thinking this would fix it, the outcome was no joy.

Any help will be much appreciated and thanks for your time.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Your camera is set to whole stops instead of 1/3 stop measurements.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

View solution in original post

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

@Kenpoist7 wrote:

I've just starting learning the camera by watching YouTube. A couple of individuals talk about ISO and they use the "native" ISO settings most i.e. 160, 320, 640... However, my ISO is 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200 and 6400.

As mentioned, your camera is set to make full stop "jumps" in ISO per click. I don't own the 5D mark II, but I'm pretty sure you can change the ISO increments to 1/3 stop. You will need to look in the manual or just explore the menu structure in the camera.

Now, I'm not sure how advantageous this would be to your style of shooting, but I use 1/3rd to better control my shutter and fine tune exposure. It's all a matter of preference.

Newton

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Your camera is set to whole stops instead of 1/3 stop measurements.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

Thanks for taking the time to give me an answer.

Much appreciated.

Peter
Authority
Authority

Dynamic range chart here https://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon%20EOS%205D%20Mark%20II 

And above ISO 1600 5D II is ISO invariant, so no need to worry what ISO you use above that https://clarkvision.com/articles/iso/

Thanks for sharing the chart and the documents, this is good stuff.

I took a look at your gallery...WOW...a goal to capture images like you've shot may be unattainable but well worth an attempt.

Thanks again

I suppose you mean clarvision? I am not  Roger Clark.

Sorry for the oversight, even though I've not seen any of your art you've  blessed me with good information to ponder.

You took the time to respond and that rates in my book, Roger Clark not a word...he is defiantly off my Christmas card list. 🙂  Thanks and be safe!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"A couple of individuals talk about ISO and they use the "native" ISO settings most i.e. 160, 320, 640... "

ISO numbers originated in the old film photography days and they never changed when cameras went digital. However the concept hasn't changed. You double the number and you add a stop. Half it and you lose a stop.

Native ISO is simply the the range of ISO settings that cameras can produce without any extra digital manipulation. You need to know what the Base ISO is, too. Base ISO is usually the lowest ISO in the native ISO range. Usually (a 5D Mk II) camera’s base ISO 100 is basically 0 decibels of amplification which results in the lowest possible noise.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks!

More great information! I kinda jumped into the middle of the book and now trying to figure out the characters.

Most of the videos seem to believe the viewer has more knowledge (intelligence) about the equipment and processes of photography of which I have little. I just need to find the starting line, with that said, I'll be relyng on more skilled and knowledgeable individuals in this forum.

Thanks again.

Kenpoist7
Contributor

Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge with me.

This is going to be a fun ride thanks to the Members!

Announcements