cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Bottom 1/3 of image black in manual mode

eloprest
Apprentice

All,

Having a very weird problem with a virtually new 5D when shooting in manual mode. The camera is exclusively used in a lab for insect specimen photos. The bottom quarter of the image is completely black, while the upper 3/4 are fine - see the image below. It is a fuzzy boundary, which made me think it might be something physical - but it shoots perfectly fine in all the other modes, so its not anything getting in the way. Plus - there is just the 100mm 2.8L macro lens, with a ring flash on it - there isn't anything TO get in the way. It worked perfectly fine until today, and no amount of turning off/on, using flash/no flash has fixed it. I really need manual mode to take good pictures. I was unable to find anyone with this exact problem in a quick search of the forums. Thanks so much, Eric

2K3A2923.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rs-eos
Elite

What's the shutter speed you're using? Looks like you're using higher than sync speed shutter speeds (faster than 1/200s).  If so, does the ring flash have high-speed-sync capability (you'd need to enable that on the flash)?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

rs-eos
Elite

What's the shutter speed you're using? Looks like you're using higher than sync speed shutter speeds (faster than 1/200s).  If so, does the ring flash have high-speed-sync capability (you'd need to enable that on the flash)?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

eloprest
Apprentice

Thanks! That was the issue - that was at 400. I think I previously had HSS on the flash (MT-26EX-RT), but must have shut it off when playing around with settings. Could have figured that out... eventually - thanks for solving it so quickly!!!

click here to view the gallery
Announcements