cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 250D Verifying compatibility with ZWO ASIAIR Plus

Eric_Dunn
Contributor

I'm trying to figure out what my camera is as I want to use it with a third-party device. The label on my camera says: "EOS 250D", but when I search for that on Canon's site nothing comes up. There is no listing at all for a 250D. Some research has suggested that the 250D is the same thing as the Rebel SL3, but this doesn't make much sense to me as the third-party device claims that it will work with the 250D but not with the Rebel SL3. How can I find out exactly what this camera actually is? I don't want to buy the device if it won't work with this camera.

Thanks,

Eric

12 REPLIES 12

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Eric_Dunn,

What third-party device are you trying to work with?

Steve Thomas

Hi Steve,

I'm trying to determine if it will work with ZWO's ASIAIR Plus.

Eric

Eric,

Wow! That's way out of my league.

All I can tell you is that I went to the company's web site for their 256Gb model, and at the bottom of the page, in the left-hand column, it says that the 250D was "Tested". In the right-hand column, it says that the SL3 (250D) was "Not Tested".

I don't exactlly know what "Tested" and "Not Tested" means. Did they pass their "Test"? I don't know.

Everything I've ever read says that the EOS 250D and the SL3 are two names for the same camera.

I think I would do as Rick suggests and contact the manufacturer directly and confirm with them. I'd specifically ask about the newer 256Gb, rather than the older 32Gb model.

I wish you the best of luck. You have a long row to hoe.

Steve Thomas

Steve,

Thanks. It is exactly that on their website that raised the question. I too was under the assumption that these are the same things. My understanding is that the 250D is called the Rebel SL3 in North America (and called other things in other places) but I'd like to verify that as the third-party's website does make that distinction.

I also found one website that compared the 250D to the Rebel SL3. That site wasn't nearly as informative as I would have liked.

Thanks again,

Eric

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

For 3rd party equipment, please reach out to the device manufacturer and ask them to confirm compatibility.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick,

I'm reasonably certain that Canon will be far more capable of helping me identify exactly what my Canon camera is than any third-party.

"How can I find out exactly what this camera actually is?" is the question I asked.

Eric

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The 250D is the International version of the SL3. US Model.  There might be minor software and hardware differences between the two.  Parts availability can dictate this which is why it's not always possible for Canon or any manufacturer to service a product intended for sale in another country or region.  There is also a regulatory piece that manufacturers have to comply with that can dictate software and licensing.  I would ask ZWO's ASIAIR to give their certification for the 250D if that's the body you own.  Then you can be reasonably assured the device will work with your camera.  Compatibility is the responsibility of the accessory manufacturer.  🙂 Hope this helps.

Canon North Africa has a listing for the 250D

Canon EOS 250D - Cameras - Canon Central and North Africa (canon-cna.com)  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you. I'll look into that.

I got my camera from the Canon Store on Amazon. I don't think that's a grey market or anything. My understanding is that it's just Canon selling through Amazon, though maybe the regional things are not quite the same when going through Amazon.

Thanks again,

Eric

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

@Eric_Dunn wrote:

I'm trying to figure out what my camera is as I want to use it with a third-party device. The label on my camera says: "EOS 250D", but when I search for that on Canon's site nothing comes up. There is no listing at all for a 250D. Some research has suggested that the 250D is the same thing as the Rebel SL3, but this doesn't make much sense to me as the third-party device claims that it will work with the 250D but not with the Rebel SL3. How can I find out exactly what this camera actually is? I don't want to buy the device if it won't work with this camera.

Thanks,

Eric

Hello, Eric.

If your camera has "250D" on it, it is a 250D plain and simple. If you bought it in North America, it is what we refer to as "Gray Market" which is not intended for this region and will not show on support pages for this region, Canon USA for example. You hear a lot of debate on if all these different camera names for the same camera really effects anything but the Warranty. Personally, I just don't know. BTW, here is the Support Page for your camera (Canon Europe).

Bottom line for your inquiry, IMO, is the ZWO ASIAIR Plus indicates it was tested (works) with the Canon EOS 250D and your camera says EOS 250D on it, you are good to go. The only thing that might cause an issue is which firmware was used in their tests. I would study on that and see which version you are running.

Newton

Announcements