cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 250D (SL3) battery issue

karenw81
Apprentice

Hi all, our church has been using my camera for live streaming for awhile now. When hurricane Ian cam through we were doing a live feed and our power cut out. The camera turned off.

We use a dummy battery so we can stay on longer than the 30 minutes recording. 

About two weeks ago the screen started to flash green lines, so I turned it off immediately. Waited a while turned it back on it seemed ok. Used it again the following Wednesday, it did the same thing. So I turned it off. (During this time the video feed froze). But this time it wouldn't come back on. I removed the dummy battery and put my Canon one in. Tried to turn it on, nothing. I went and charged the battery thinking maybe it was dead. Went back a day later tried again and nothing. I took it to a local camera shop. He said it was the battery board? I don't know what that is. Anyway.. so I have this camera and now I can't get it to work. Does anyone know what I can do? I know it's the European model of the SL3, can I just find the part or something? It seems like an easy fix. I'm desperate. 

Thanks, Karen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Lotus7
Rising Star

The "battery board" in a Canon DSLR is actually called the "power circuit board" . In the higher-end models it is usually a separate component connected to the "main circuit board by a folded ribbon printed film "cable", but in the "smaller models like the 200DM2 and 200ii the battery management and power regulation is contained on the main circuit board.  I'm not positive about the arrangement in the 250D/SL-3, but I believe it's likely that it too has the power circuits on the main board.  Those circuits are there to regulate power as the battery discharges and to provide some protection to the camera from possible power surges or over-voltage conditions. A defective Canon AC adapter + dummy battery DC coupler can create such conditions OR the use of a inexpensive 3rd party AC adapter that may not meet Canon's specifications for safe operation can also be a possible cause.

If the power circuit board function has failed, there is also a strong possibility that there may be additional damage to other components on the main board. This is can occur with an integrated power circuit or a separate power circuit.

In either case, replacement requires a major disassembly of the camera.  That is a job for an experienced camera technician and is not a DIY project for a typical owner to attempt.

Separate power circuit boards cost between $22 and $49 and a SL3 main board costs $178 from 3rd party sources.  However the labor to replace the board(s) would be much more expensive, and probably cost more than a good working used SL-3 would retail for.

Did the "local camera shop" quote a price for the repair?   If so, will they guarantee that the cost will cover returning the camera to full operation?

Additionally, I would strongly recommend that the AC power adapter + dummy battery is checked for proper operation, and if it's a non-Canon 3rd-party item I would not use it with any repaired or replacement camera.

Sorry that this does not have an easy, inexpensive "fix", but power-related damage to a camera is a serious issue and can often be "terminal".

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Lotus7
Rising Star

The "battery board" in a Canon DSLR is actually called the "power circuit board" . In the higher-end models it is usually a separate component connected to the "main circuit board by a folded ribbon printed film "cable", but in the "smaller models like the 200DM2 and 200ii the battery management and power regulation is contained on the main circuit board.  I'm not positive about the arrangement in the 250D/SL-3, but I believe it's likely that it too has the power circuits on the main board.  Those circuits are there to regulate power as the battery discharges and to provide some protection to the camera from possible power surges or over-voltage conditions. A defective Canon AC adapter + dummy battery DC coupler can create such conditions OR the use of a inexpensive 3rd party AC adapter that may not meet Canon's specifications for safe operation can also be a possible cause.

If the power circuit board function has failed, there is also a strong possibility that there may be additional damage to other components on the main board. This is can occur with an integrated power circuit or a separate power circuit.

In either case, replacement requires a major disassembly of the camera.  That is a job for an experienced camera technician and is not a DIY project for a typical owner to attempt.

Separate power circuit boards cost between $22 and $49 and a SL3 main board costs $178 from 3rd party sources.  However the labor to replace the board(s) would be much more expensive, and probably cost more than a good working used SL-3 would retail for.

Did the "local camera shop" quote a price for the repair?   If so, will they guarantee that the cost will cover returning the camera to full operation?

Additionally, I would strongly recommend that the AC power adapter + dummy battery is checked for proper operation, and if it's a non-Canon 3rd-party item I would not use it with any repaired or replacement camera.

Sorry that this does not have an easy, inexpensive "fix", but power-related damage to a camera is a serious issue and can often be "terminal".

Thank you, I now have a better understanding on what is going on. I did try to use the repair through Cannon but unfortunately because this model is from Europe it won't allow me to. 

The camera shop guy said the same thing, it's a European model he couldn't do anything. Kinda stinks for me, I also used it for photography. Thanks guys. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I agree with everything Lotus7 said.

All I would add is sending the camera to canon for evaluation / diagnosis is your best bet.  You don't have to complete a repair with them unless the price is acceptable to you.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Lotus7
Rising Star

Although service by a factory authorized shop is usually best, there are smaller independent shops that may be willing to to provide service for a camera not imported by Canon USA.  Authentic Canon parts including the complete SL-3 main board are also available in North America, so you may want to try an internet search for a shop that repairs "gray market" (not intended for sale in North America) cameras.  However, I would not be surprised by a repair quote that approximates the cost of a used SL-3 body since the repair may  entail several hours of work.  Obviously, check the reviews of any such shop carefully.

Will look into this, thanks 

Announcements