cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS-1d Mk3 Mirror stays up error

SaxonTony
Contributor

I am sure this must have been discussed before.

I have had my Mk3 from new around 2009 and it has not had much use and is still in mint unmarked condition.

However after about 3 shots the mirror stays up and i have to switch it off for it to go back down and then switch on again to use, until it stays up again.

I have used it like this for years but no I want to fix it so does anyone know what I need to do to correct it!

its 559799

15 REPLIES 15

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Canon Support | Service Notice: EOS-1D Mark III/EOS-1Ds Mark III: Abnormal Mirror Operation (Err 99)...

The 1D Mark III has reached the end of the Canon repair period, so I don't know if you will be able to get this resolved.

Products that have reached the end of the repair period | (canon.jp)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... I don't know if you will be able to get this resolved."

At Canon he means. There are other repair shops that can service it. But first you have done a complete reset? Complete???  There is a date/time battery (CR2025) which maintains the camera's date and time and settings. Its service life is about 5 years so replace it. Also a new main battery Canon brand if possible.

If it still misbehaves then it truly needs service. The problem is parts not finding a repair shop. Parts will be difficult.

Try Camera Repair Center Inc.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Again I can't stress enough the complete reset and new batteries. That's why I am posting this again. You have to do this first. When you replace the button battery take your time doing it. Even let the camera sit for a few minutes to completely drain it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Im embarrased to say that I dont know where the button battery is? can you kindly tell me?

and its Err 99!

SaxonTony
Contributor

found it - the cr2025 is out now for the first time since it went in at the factory!

Do you have the manual for the camera?  Page 188 shows where the clock battery is. 

If you don't, download it from https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/eos-1d-mark-iii

You can also find on eBay  printed manuals, both the factory-supplied book and printed 7 bound 8.5x11 copies.

I found it and replaced it with a new duracell 2025, I waited an hour between taking the original battery out and putting the new one in.

I did manage 30 photos before error the first time and then only 3 photos on the second attempt - so no improvement.

I have ordered a new main battery to see if that helps.

SaxonTony
Contributor

Update - changing the CR2025 did nothing - so the 15 year old cr20205 was still ok!  

When my main battery is charged up 3 green lights on the charger and I press calibrate - it drops to 2 green lights!  so maybe my main battery is the problem ( i have ordered a new main battery already)  just waiting for delivery.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements