cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF guy looking to maybe go mirrorless

JimSchultze
Apprentice

I currently use 1DX IIIs with all EF USM III glass for sports and wildlife. I’m looking to possibly jumping into mirrorless for the first time. Should I add an R1 body, or wait for a global shutter, 45MP sensor, etc.?

Opinions?

5 REPLIES 5

JFG
Rising Star
Rising Star

Hi JimSchultze, 

Both Canon and the competition have been working very hard to bring the expensive global shutter technology to a full frame format and the price down to an affordable level to introduce to the general market.   Rumors are always flying around and sometimes rumors are nothing more than what we wish for.  Having said that, a rumor has it that the next version of the R1 may have more than 45MP and a global shutter.  However, the announcement of the aforementioned may not come for months or maybe a year or more.  The question is, how long are you willing to wait.  I myself, know that the advantages of a global shutter is a game changer: 

Global Shutter Advantages

Global Shutter Disadvantages

• Lower frame rate
  • Lower native sensitivity
  • More noise
  • Lower dynamic range 
  • Costly to manufacture 

The "No distortion of straight lines with fast moving subjects" along with with the "No limit on flash sync speed" Is what interests me.  Having said that, I preordered the R5 Mark II as It will be more than enough for me.  I have an R6 Mark II that I preordered a month prior to its release, and I'm very happy shooting wild life and sports with it, not to mention some stills and architecture.  The R5 Mark II for me will be a huge step up, when its delivered.  Also the price for the technology it comes with is competitive and just right for its value.  Therefore, a new Canon camera with higher than 45MP and with a global shutter will cost a lot more than the new R1, so if you are willing to wait for it, than start saving your poker winnings !  😆 

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
― Ansel Adams

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
–- Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it."
--- Ansel Adams

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

If the R1x/s comes to fruition, it's going to be a while like Joe mentioned.  

If you are looking for more MPs then the R52 is the way to go.  If 24MP is a sweet spot for you and you want mirrorless, a refurb R3 is an exceptional value and super reasonable.  It was as low as $3500 just weeks ago.  It's hovering at $4k now, but is out of stock currently.  

No one but Canon knows how much a high MP version of the R1 would sell for but again, its going to be a while.

The 1Dx3 is the last of the mohicans as far as pro DSLRs go.  It's going to remain popular for the foreseeable future.  

The R3 is not done either and  a mkII is already being mentioned in the rumor mill as well.  

If you are looking for Canon's best user experience,  lightning fast AF, eye control and people priority tracking, then the R1 is it.  

I prefer a smaller body with the option of a battery grip for a "fuller figure".  For some though, the 1D and. R3 series form factors are the way to go.  Like driving a Cadillac.  

Definitely excited to see what the future holds.. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

"If you are looking for more MPs then the R52 is the way to go"

My pre-coffee, still not awake brain read this as "R fifty two" instead of "R 5 Mark ll", and I wondered what new model just came out.  ðŸ™‚ Thanks for making me laugh at myself, Rick!  I think my coffee is ready.  

Gary

Digital: Canon: R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax: Spotmatic, K1000, K2000, Miranda: DR, Zenit: 12XP, Kodak: Retina Automatic II, Duaflex III

Hi Gary, 

Your brain 🧠 did just fine without your morning coffee.  Its just that Rick forgot the M that goes between the  5 and the 2.  He got me too, and I had already drank two cups of coffe, so dont feel bad.  I first thought he was talking about the Mini Cooper R52.  😆 

You know the thing about "Legends", is that they speak their own jargon!   ðŸ˜€ 

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
― Ansel Adams

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
–- Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it."
--- Ansel Adams

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Gary,

Good for a few laughs.  ðŸ˜‚   Your R62 is a great camera also.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements