cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Rebel

BerlyJ
Apprentice

My USB cord suddenly no longer worked to upload photos to my iMac.

Apple support advised me to get a new USB or use a card reader. I used a card reader - which worked.

So then I erased the CF card. Now the CF card no longer works.

I purchased a new CF card and that doesn't work either.

I purchased a new battery -- that didn't make any difference. 

When a CF card is in the camera, it will turn on, but that's it. None of the buttons work, the LCD monitor won't even light up. 

When there's NO CF card in the camera, the buttons will work and the LCD monitor comes on -- however, I can't do anything. 

I tried to format the CF card, but again, with a CF card in the camera, none of the buttons work, therefore I can't format the CF card. 

I also inspected the pins within the camera (that fit into the CF card) -- they appear to be fine, not bent, etc. 

Any suggestions of what may be wrong? What should I do? 

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3

cicopo
Elite

Re inspect the pins with a good light & magnifier & take your time. If you're satisfied they are all there & straight up do a Reset to Factory specs & try again. Also re the USB cable problem do you have a second computer that you can install the programs onto to try accessing the camera & card through either of the cables you now have?

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Which Rebel?

You need Canon service but if your camera is pretty old, you may not want to have it repaired.  Cost!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite
Your description sounds like it's beyond a usb cord or cf card. The camera may require service but at its age, it's not worth the cost to repair. You can buy a substantially better camera for what it would cost to repair.

HOWEVER... do not dispose of the camera just yet. Phone Canon. They offer a "loyalty" upgrade program which allows you to trade in your non-working camera fora substantial discount on a newer camera (the newer camera may be a refurbished camera but would still carry the same warranty... I wouldn't worry about having a refurb.).

Specifically what models are available will change and you have to phone to find out what they offer. But it typically is the best deal in terms of replacing a very old camera.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements