cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSLR Backup

JRDailey
Contributor

Heading out on vacation soon and won't have a computer with me, (not buying a new laptop right now).    How can I save / backup my pictures and take them home to load into my PC  ??

Thanks ,   John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Downloading to a USB drive requires you to have a device into which to plug the said USB drive, but you are apparently not taking such a device with you.  If you are going on vacation to a place that that has the facility (i.e. not in the wild) you could go to an internet café and plug a USB drive into their computer to download your images from your cards.  It might be a good idea to take a USB card reader with you in that case.

To me, the simplest and cheapest way is to get a few spare cards for your cameras, (obviously you need both CF and SD cards, based on your cameras) and cycle them through. You should be taking spare ones with you in any case in the event of a card failure at a critical moment.  Then download them to your computer when you get home.  You can get a compact, but robust card holder for storing and organizing them.  That way you have spare cards for future occasions, so it's an investment in the future!

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Does your camera have dual card slots?  That makes for a nice backup system.

Do you have an iPad or iPhone? There are adapters/card-readers that allow you to sync images to these devices (though it may be limited to JPEG?)

There are portable drives and other setups where you could offload your cards onto.  Though I'm not familiar with these setups or which brand would be best.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

No IPhone , Android.   Also read something else , downloading to a usb drive

Which camera are you using? Knowing that will make it much easier for the community to make the best recommendations! ☺

JRDailey,

Another option is to download photos to a tablet or phone.

If you want to do wired shooting with, or download photos, to your Android phone or tablet, I found an app called Camera Connect and Control that works. You can try it free for 3 days, then it's $9.99 to purchase. You can find it in the Google Play Store.

Check with their web site for a list of supported cameras. I have a T8i and it works, even though it's not on their list yet.

You can shoot. Either still photos or videos.

You'll need an OTG (on the go) cable to connect your Android device to the USB cable, and an IFC-600PCU interface cable to connect the USB cable to the USB port on your camera.

I got the OTG cable off Amazon, and the IFC-600PCU cable from Canon.

Steve Thomas

Intrigued by the initial question. I might be going down a garden path but, Ricky, is one available for Samsung Android? Would be great for me.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

JRDailey
Contributor

7D also 6D2

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Downloading to a USB drive requires you to have a device into which to plug the said USB drive, but you are apparently not taking such a device with you.  If you are going on vacation to a place that that has the facility (i.e. not in the wild) you could go to an internet café and plug a USB drive into their computer to download your images from your cards.  It might be a good idea to take a USB card reader with you in that case.

To me, the simplest and cheapest way is to get a few spare cards for your cameras, (obviously you need both CF and SD cards, based on your cameras) and cycle them through. You should be taking spare ones with you in any case in the event of a card failure at a critical moment.  Then download them to your computer when you get home.  You can get a compact, but robust card holder for storing and organizing them.  That way you have spare cards for future occasions, so it's an investment in the future!

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

JRDailey
Contributor

Of course, the solution is additional memory cards.   So simple a caveman could figure it out.   Which makes me,,,,,,well I don't know.  Thanks for the help! 

Best regards,   John

On behalf of all cavemen, you are most welcome! 😁

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements