cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSLR 101

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Here is a sample of RAW and how it can help make your photos better. 

_DS37738.jpg

Normal RAW exposure.

1.jpg

Normal exposure jpg.  They look pretty close because you are looking at a computer monitor.  The RAW has been converted to jpg in post.  The original jpg was done by the camera, a 1Ds Mk III in this case.

2.jpg

However, suspose you got something wrong. In this case I under exposed it by 3 stops.  But it could be any condition.  WB, color balance, saturation, and on and on, etc.

3.jpg

Corrected RAW.

4.jpg

Corrected jpg.  But below lets look a little closer.

5.jpg

Especially check the shadows. Can you see the difference?  Need a better look?  OK, here is a 100% crop of that enlargment.

6.jpg

It should be blantly obivious that RAW is the way to go.  All else was equal. Same camera. Same lens. Same time of day. Same, same!

Get Lightroom................Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
210 REPLIES 210

Biggs now I can see the difference in these 2 pics.  The RAW is sharper, more color saturation.  The Jpg looks a tad lighter, more washed out.  I can also see the distortion in the black areas.   But it's harder to see here than the last pics you posted.  These are not side by side.  I se it now because I observed it in the last pics.  But it's harder for me to see it in these cause they are not side by side.  Would have been easy to lie, you told me which one was Raw and which ones is Jpg.  But no reason to do that, I would only hurt myself.  Least I was honest with you.   I should get points for that LOL.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements