cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D60 remote sensor

LesWurse
Enthusiast

I'm just getting familiar with an EOS D60 and can't get the remote sensor to respond to a wireless Amazon compatible remote control. The remote control battery tests out strong. The only way I can get the D60 to fire on "remote" is to press the shutter button. My lens is an efs 55-250mm f4/f5.6, set on manual focus. I followed the instructions on remote shooting on Pg 126 of the manual. What am I missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@LesWurse wrote:

I'm just getting familiar with an EOS D60 and can't get the remote sensor to respond to a wireless Amazon compatible remote control. The remote control battery tests out strong. The only way I can get the D60 to fire on "remote" is to press the shutter button. My lens is an efs 55-250mm f4/f5.6, set on manual focus. I followed the instructions on remote shooting on Pg 126 of the manual. What am I missing?

Are you certain that you have the older EOD D60, and not the much newer 60D?  Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think that EF-S lenses can mount onto the D60, the much older camera model.  That camera model was released prior to the initial release of EF-S lenses, if I am not mistaken.

Yet, you keep saying that you have the EOS D60, not the newer EOS 60D? 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I cannot be certain exactly which camera model you are using.  But, you may need to put the shutter into 2-second or 10-second delay mode in order to use a remote shutter device.

Thanks - it is the "new" EOS D60 which I bought used this month.  I used the drive button to set a 10 second delay on the lcd panel. When I pointed the Amazon remote control (advertised as compatible with the D60) nothing happens. Yet when I press the shutter button the camera fires after the 10 second delay,  I'm suspecting the Amazon remote control is not really compatible with the camera.  (Its battery tests very strong.)

The EOS D60 was initially released over a decade ago.  It lacks a cable release jack for wired remote control.  So, I doubt that it is equipped to work with a wireless remote control. 

I think your remote probably works just fine, just not with this particular camera model.  Too old.

[EDIT]  I found a review on the D60 at dpreviews.  Here's a list of major accessories. No remote is listed.

• Battery Pack BP-511
 • Compact Power Adapter CA-PS400
 • DC Coupler DR-400
 • Interface Cable IFC-200PCU
 • Video Cable VC-100
 • Battery Grip BG-ED3
 • Dedicated strap

After some further research, I discovered that Canon did make a remote shuttter release for the D60...which makes more sense than one not being available.  The dpreview was incorrect.

D60_RemoteController.PNG

You mentioned p.126 of the manual.  That is not describing how to perform remote shutter release.

d60_ShutterRelease.PNG

Wireless control is not available as near as I can tell.  The user manual does not use the word "wireless" anywhere.

LesWurse
Enthusiast

Thanks so much. I will return this wireless Amazon remote and go for a Canon remote. Hope they have a wireless but if not I'll get the corded one that has timer options. I really appreciate your research.

If you really have bought a 15 year old camera, then I suggest that you return it as soon as possible.  I strongly suspect that you will be very hard pressed to find the wired remote controls that I pictured above for such an old camera.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@LesWurse wrote:

Are you certain that you have the older EOD D60, and not the much newer 60D?  Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think that EF-S lenses can mount onto the D60, the much older camera model.  That camera model was released prior to the initial release of EF-S lenses, if I am not mistaken.

Yet, you keep saying that you have the EOS D60, not the newer EOS 60D? 

My major mistake - I transposed the model number without knowing it. I didn't even know there was an older "D60". I have the EOS 60D.  So it was my incorrect use of the model number that caused Amazon to send the wrong remote controller. (And wasted your time).  It is on the way back to Amazon and I have purchased a Canon RC6 specified by the 60D manual.

My apologies for a newbie's ignorance on nomenclature!

I

That's quite alright.  I'm glad to have gotten you off of the wrong track, and on to the right one.

Announcements