cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copyright notice oddity

All Canon midrange and high-end cameras allow you to provide a character string to be incorporated as a copyright notice in the Exif data of every picture the camera takes. A selection of ASCII characters is provided for use in forming the notice; but strangely, the internationally recognized "©" character that identifies a copyright notice isn't one of them. If you try to include it in the character string uploaded to the camera, it is ignored. I guess it's not a huge deal, but it seems like a silly oversight that could be remedied in any firmware update.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

From Canon DLC

Adding Copyright information to your images

You are correct no © symbol is available and obviously Canon is aware of that.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I don't have the right camera on hand to check to see what is stored inside of it, but I looked at copyright notice in several files using DPP4 and they all have the same format.

[c] 2015 CompanyName, LLC

All of mine look like that.  I had suspected that software packages might add the copyright symbol when the information is more formally displayed.  But, that is how it is shown in the "File Info" window of DPP4.  I know for certain that I have the year included, but I am not so sure about the first part.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I see the same text in both DPP and LR6

Like I said, I wish I had the camera on hand so that I could interrogate what is stored inside of it.

That is an LR6 sample I displayed. It shows correctly.  Do you know how to make your personal meta file?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

No, I have only just begun to explore the metadata stuff and stamping files with copyright information.  That would be nice, stamping photos with metadata.

I am almost certain that I encountered Bob's issue with my T5.  I think I just simply copied the same info into my 6D without trying to insert the copyright symbol at all.

You need to create a meta file and make a preset out of it.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

You need to create a meta file and make a preset out of it.

Hmm.  Sounds like I'm going to have a busy winter, even if I can't get out and do some walking. Man Happy

We are having an ice storm.  Probably loose electricity soon.  I am too old to get out in it. Smiley Frustrated

EB

@Waddizzle wrote:

I don't have the right camera on hand to check to see what is stored inside of it, but I looked at copyright notice in several files using DPP4 and they all have the same format.

All of mine look like that.  I had suspected that software packages might add the copyright symbol when the information is more formally displayed.  But, that is how it is shown in the "File Info" window of DPP4.  I know for certain that I have the year included, but I am not so sure about the first part.

Interesting. Like you, I don't have a camera handy, but I just looked at some of my pictures using both DPP3 and DPP4, and saw no representation of the character in the copyright notices. That says that DPP isn't adding the character, so it must actually be in your notices. But I've tried to incorporate it into the notice on several cameras and seen nothing at all, either on the camera's LCD or using EOS Utility. Which suggests that if I had left the character in, I might have seen what you see using DPP. I'll try that, the first chance I get.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Bob from Boston,

It displays correctly in Lightroom and Photoshop.  But I guees one would expect it to.

copyright.jpg

EB
Announcements