cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting T5 to Ext. Monitor

DoGooder79
Apprentice

Hello,

I have a Canon Rebel t5 (not t5i). I have the proper HTC 100 cable to connect the camera body to an external monitor. However, I don't know how to set my external monitor to be the viewfinder for me while I'm trying to take photos. Right now I can use it while recording video; i can see the live feed. But it doesn't work on any of the photo settings. It will display the photo once I've taken it but I want to set up the shot using my monitor. Esp. because my camera is in positions that a person can't physically reach to use the camera's built in viewfinder. 

Any help will be greatly appreciated

S

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You can only use the monitor in live view. With the mirror down - like when using the viewfinder - no light can get to the sensor.

Hi there,

Thanks so much for the reply! So, my next question is, can you explain how to do this? If scottzotto@gmail.com

Best,

@DoGooder79 wrote:

Hi there,

Thanks so much for the reply! So, my next question is, can you explain how to do this? [ REMOVED ]

Best,

Basically, you want to use the EOS Utility from Canon.  Canon's DPP software can also perform tethered shooting.  How this is done is described in the User Manuals for each application.  These are available from the Product Support Page for your camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

This is so helpful! I am going to find the Utility app online and download it. My old laptop is dead and, with it, all the old programs. So, I'll figure this out and go from there. Thank you!

Announcements