cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Colors in Viewfinder of EOS R look terrible!

Ronib4
Contributor

I've been using a Canon 5DMIV for years and just switched to the EOS R.  What I see in the viewfinder while shooting are photos that look desaturated, lifeless and with somewhat of a cyan/green tint.   I was absolutely panicking at what I was seeing in the viewfinder during my session, but when I got home and downloaded on computer they looked good, completely different from what I was seeing in camera.  I hope this isn't normal....suggestions? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Follow @rs-eos and reset the camera to factory default. Also reset custom function back to factory default.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Most EVFs and rear LCD screens have very low resolutions. The EOS R EVF has a resolution of 1280x960 which is low compared to today's LCD displays.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Is it any different if using live view?

The only time I see desaturated (flat) content is when working with Log footage.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Ronib4
Contributor

Nope, no different in live view

How do the pictures look after the picture is taken do they look normal. Or do they look the same like in the camera.

-Demetrius

They look one way in camera...but when I download to Lightroom they look good with normal skin tones.   And I shoot in Raw.   

Follow @rs-eos and reset the camera to factory default. Also reset custom function back to factory default.

-Demetrius

I reset camera to factory default settings and increased the brightness on the screen and shot a beautiful session yesterday!

I would look at resetting your camera's settings.  If that doesn't resolve the issue, then probably time to call up Canon and look at having it serviced.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

lantapete
Apprentice

Since the downloaded pic's look fine, I'll assume your camera white balance is correct, and not set to fluorescent, or some strange Kelvin value.  If the LCD and EVF are showing similar color issues, you might want to look at Picture Style in the red menus.   I like my Picture Style set to standard, but you might prefer something else.  Additionally, is WB shift/bkt set to 0,0+-0?  My EOS R viewfinder does not look desaturated or color shifted.

Announcements