cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cold tone photos

JSPhotography
Contributor

Hi all, I have recently been handed back my EOS 5D mark iii from my son, as he has down graded to the EOS 60D, as he couldn't get on with it. And for some reason now, every shot (including automatic) they all come out with a cold/dark tone.

I reset the camera back to factory settings, and changed around lenses to see if it was this that was the issue. But no nothing has changed. 

I took 2 identical photos on the same settings, one with my mrk iii & one with my mark iv. And the difference is quite remarkable!

Can anyone please give me some advice on what to do?

Many thanks 

James

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Post sample images so that we can better understand your issue.  

What does the Live View image look like on the rear LCD screen?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi Waddizzle, 

Thanks for the reply, but I have found out what the issue is. The Kelvin was too low, so I moved up to 5400 and seems to have fixed the issue. But its still surprising the difference between the two cameras.

Kind regards

James

If you have the color temperature (Kelvin) value fixed to a single value, it will be incorrect for many situations.  You'll want to go with one of the following: Auto White Balance, select a choice that matches the lighting (e.g. Sun, Shade, Tungsten lighting, etc.), adjust the Kelvin value for the particular scene, or even use a custom white balance.

Having said all that, if the photos were captured in RAW format, the color temperature won't be baked in so you can adjust it in post-production.  If though the photos were captured in JPEG, it's going to be more difficult to adjust.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I reset the camera back to factory settings,..."

I doubt you did. SInce an incorrectly set Kelvin temperature isn't factory. When you reset it you need to clear all settings and clear all custom settings. If you missed the ladder one it didn't completely reset.

Daylight normal K is 5200.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I reset the camera back to factory settings,..."

I doubt you did. SInce an incorrectly set Kelvin temperature isn't factory. When you reset it you need to clear all settings and clear all custom settings. If you missed the ladder one it didn't completely reset.

Daylight normal K is 5200.

I'm with Ernie on the reset.  He could have changed the Picture Styles settings in addition to "K".  Start with a clean slate.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements