cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close-up photography with a Canon EOS 250D

violetorange
Apprentice

I'm a novice. Is there any way to shoot close-up pictures while in Auto mode? I use a photo tent to get good pictures of vases but can't get good photos of the signatures on the bottom of these vases. Thank you

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Do you mean get the vase and the signatures both in focus in the same image or do you want an image of the vase and an image of the signature separately?

When you say Auto mode do you mean green square auto on the dial?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

violetorange
Apprentice

Hi John,

Separate photo of the signature on the bottom of the vase/vases. Green dial.

If this is not possible, is there a basic setting in another mode, e.g. aperture, that might work for most such signature pic's in a bright light tent?

Thank you,

Ernie

I suggest you look into buying a set of extension tubes. They will allow your lens to focus closer.

Here is some information on extension tubes.

The Ultimate Guide to Extension Tubes (shuttermuse.com)

There are three factors to consider with the lens you are using: 1. focal length (also termed angle of view), 2. minimum focusing distance and 3. maximum magnification.

I am assuming you might have the Canon EF-S 18-55mm zoom lens, a common kit lens for Rebel cameras.

As you zoom the lens from 18-55 you see that width of the area included in the view reduces since you are decreasing the angle of view. Since for macro use you general want to be concentrating on a smaller object that is why macro lens generally have longer focal lengths.

In order to fill the frame with a subject macro lenses generally have closer minimum focusing distances (how close can you get and still achieve focus). The 18-55mm lens has a 9.8 inch minimum focusing distance. 

The maximum magnification for that lens is 0.36, which means if the length of the signature on your vase is 1 inch it will only be .36 inches in your image.

Canon makes a 60mm macro lens for the Rebel. It has a maximum magnification of 1, which means you can capture the signature in life size in your image.

Extension tubes will allow you to obtain similar results.

Here is a tool to use:

Extension Tube Magnification Calculator (thingsupclose.com)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What lens do you have on your camera?

Each lens will have a minimum focusing distance value.  So it could be that your particular lens won't let you get close enough to fill the frame with the signature.  In this case, the only thing you can do is to crop the image.

However, some lenses are macro lenses.  These lenses let you capture small details and fill the frame with them.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Whoa!  I am going to pooh pooh the extension tube route and go with Ricky's thought of a true macro lens. Far easier to use especially if you are a full auto green square shooter. Canon used to make a EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens that is good and inexpensive.  You can find good used ones.  Keep in mind even the  best gear will have a limit to what it can do. You may have reached yours but a true macro lens will get you the best results the easiest and quickest.

The EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens can be left on your camera and used just like any lens. You can use it for normal photography too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements